Skip to main content

Needle Scalers

More
4 years 1 month ago #207691 by cobbadog
Needle Scalers was created by cobbadog
HAs anyone used a needle scaler on removing thick paint? The ones I am looking at are air operated and I want to clean up the 20 layers of old paint off the coaming on Lorry and then it will also clean up the rusty bits too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207694 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic Needle Scalers
I used one on my chamberlain.I'll see if I can find the photos and post them on here

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 1 month ago #207696 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Needle Scalers
Depends on the base material, thin metal the scaler will distort it unless you reduce the air pressure so it just works.
I totally stripped the paint off the F350, started by sanding and that was slow and so so. Just resorted to the good old basic paint stripper and a high pressure washer. Worked a treat.

Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

More
4 years 1 month ago #207701 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Needle Scalers
I'm with Blackduck59, I use paint stripper where it will not fall onto things I do not want it on and use a hose helped by a wire brush.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 1 month ago #207705 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Needle Scalers
Needle guns are not really suited to paint but does have it's place on breaking hard rust scale that sand blast struggles with. The "10 gallon" sand blasters can be quite useful, but only after you are set up with a tungsten nozzle and supply of garnet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie chapman, cobbadog

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208303 by someguy
Replied by someguy on topic Needle Scalers
Needle Scalers are the bomb! I use one at work to refurbish pumps. They are worth the money, so buy the best one you can afford. Just be careful with your air pressure and your hand pressure.
Very effective (in my experience) for removing layered paint, the older and dryer the better. Needle scalers are equally good for removing chunky rust build up as well. I can't remember the brand, but I threw down good money and it has tons of hours on it and it has never let me down.

Yer not lernin if yer mouth is open
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208348 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Needle Scalers
I knew I had a needle scaler somewhere....and after a search I found it....its a heavy one ,think its a Jasons,now called Trelawny,not cheap either ,even the needles are $2 each ,and wear pretty quick ......they want you to buy a box of 500 needles for $500 ,OK if its used much ,I suppose......Anyhoo ,blasting isnt exactly cheap either ,even if you have the gear ....use garnet at $1 /kg ,or go outlaw and use sand ....dont let Pal o'shay find out tho ...shell throw you in the Bastille.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208349 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Needle Scalers
Now there s a funny thing....Paloshay is going to lock up anyone making quartz dust ,and throw away the key......well ,she better have a look at the Main Roads Dept .......they have been "profiling" the road outside ,and everything is covered in a thick layer of dust night after night.......Then the Council come along and whippersnip the footpath ,and the dust all over the grass is again airborne ......where s the big act from pollies?.......The dust from the road is freshly shattered quartz crystals (sand /gravel),supposedly even more dangerous than asbestos dust......So where s the state government?....Roadworkers are beside the machine as it moves along ,no dust protection at all.,and residents are breathing the dust 8 hours a night......No sign of water sprays ,probably bad for adhesion of the top coat.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208357 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Needle Scalers
Would be Ok on chassis.
I use needle guns all the time for removal of paint off sandstone restoring Heritage buildings.

Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s boneheads thought it was a great idea to paint the stone plinths and footing on alot of Federation houses thinking it would halt dampness effecting the stone.
The different scallers will remove the layers without damaging the grain in the stone. I've seen a lot of damage done to stone using water jet blasting which will score a sandstone surface badly.

Works well on granite surfaces too.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by roKWiz.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208404 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Needle Scalers
The mobile sand blaster that came here to blast my tractor charges $15.00 for a 20 kg bag so I bought a couple off him for my blasting cabinet. I know if I use him it will be done in under an hour and he is resonable with his prices, or at least was when he did the tractor.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds