Skip to main content

Bedford Comair 1966 motorhome

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210077 by MrPerry
Thank you Paul and Morris
I'm all new to the whole bus/truck thing and though I have been driving cars without power steering in the past, this was...no other word than ridiculous. A 6"2 and 100kg bloke hanging on like a mad man to get around a corner is not right. LOL!
Looking forward to further replies as well.
Perry
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by MrPerry. Reason: Missed a name

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210080 by Mrsmackpaul
If you decrease the caster angle it will steer easier but will be a lot hard to keep in straight line

Swishman will along shortly with some advise that uses a jack and lots of grease that will most likely help a lot

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 11 months ago #210081 by Morris
Mr.Perry,
Welcome to the Forum. I know nothing about Bedfords and even less about steering geometry but a lot of people here will know and will have advice for you.

I presume you plan to use the bus as a motorhome and if so, i recommend you join the Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) When our children were still at home, we had a bus which I fitted out as a motormome and we had a lot of good times with that club. I also took it on a lot of truck club runs and displays.
Regards, Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 11 months ago #210086 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Bedford Comair 1966 motorhome
Mr Perry - my friend.

72' Comair, 173cm @ 73 kgs. I share your pain!

If the king pins, and steering are greased and in good condition, everthing should be ok to steer when moving. Forget at a standstill or very slow snail pace.

The common conversion is to fit Isuzu steering from an early FSR. It involves some certified engineering to shift the steering box, pedals, column, seat and dash 4 inches to the right. But even then, be careful not to turn the steering wheel when still.

btw, It's still possible (but rare) to source the original power steering ram assist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPerry

More
3 years 11 months ago #210091 by JOHN.K.
Commonest cause of hard steering in a just bought vehicle would be the seller jamming the steering box adjustment to remove lash for the inspection certificate......I suggest you disconnect the drag link ,and see what the box is like .....a bit of lash isnt a bad thing ,just roadworthy inspectors dont like it.........Funny thing is ,if the bus had power steering ,the same degree of lash is OK.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 11 months ago #210102 by Swishy
Here U go

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/941

WotSezU

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210118 by asw120
Re: play at the steering wheel: last time I looked you were allowed 3" for a wheel up to 450mm and 4" above that. Had this argument with a roadworthy man baulking at the 1/2" play on a D1110 I had. This was in Qld. This is all play in the box, too, not the linkage.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by asw120.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210121 by JOHN.K.
The 3 and 4" would have to be with power steering....Everytime I had an inspection done ,1" was more than the guy would allow .Jamming up the adjustment is a sure fire way to wreck a steering box,yet just about every used vehicle has it done for inspection......

More
3 years 11 months ago #210122 by JOHN.K.
Meanwhile ,back in Bedford territory ....I suspect it would have a Bishop "high efficiency" type gear ,which just means the sector shaft has a roller bearing mounted follower ......the "low efficiency" gear has a fixed follower ,other wise the same .The very best of pommy steering is the Ransome and Marles worm and roller type ,I think these ended in the fifties.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210124 by overnite

Morris wrote: Mr.Perry,
Welcome to the Forum. I know nothing about Bedfords and even less about steering geometry but a lot of people here will know and will have advice for you.

I presume you plan to use the bus as a motorhome and if so, i recommend you join the Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) When our children were still at home, we had a bus which I fitted out as a motormome and we had a lot of good times with that club. I also took it on a lot of truck club runs and displays.
Regards, Morris.

You won’t get much joy from CMCA these days very PC. No disagreement or adverse view is tolerated now.

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds