Skip to main content

Aboods - Kenworth E201 1967 Cab #8

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226657 by Copper1117
Hi all, I am currently restoring a Kenworth Cab and while removing some of the carpet I came across the build plate and it is a Kenworth E201 cab, and its serial number is 8. I was googling the web to see what I could find out and when I searched this thread came up, www.hcvc.com.au/forum/restore/8339-re-kenworth-e201-1967#93075 . It's an old thread and I'm not sure if the members are still on the forum but I'm interested to know if they have any history on the cab. From our knowledge Brambles bought 12 trucks at the time and this was one of the trucks purchased. Our family purchased the truck from Brambles in the day. It was driven by our family until it was involved in an accident where the chassis rails were bent beyond repair, however the cab survived. The family switched the cab onto a set of Foden chassis rails (which had a Micky Mouse cab on it and was also involved in an accident where the cab was written off) and powered the truck with a Rolls Royce motor. That was all in the early 80's. The truck affectionately became known as a Fodsworth. We recently purchased it back and are restoring it.

Definitely cab 8 as shown on the serial number tag. Would love any feedback. Cheers Peter
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Gryphon. Reason: Added link back to the early thread where this was separated from.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xspanrman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226662 by hayseed
G'day Peter, I had heard the Truck was back in the Family...Good job..Definately a Piece of Aussie Trucking History..

I'll send you a PM with a couple of Names of Blokes that may be able to help you.. Click on Channel 40 at the Top of the Page.. give me a few Hours to track their Numbers down though..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 5 months ago #226680 by Copper1117
Hi Hayseed,

The photo you put up is exactly how I am restoring the truck to, currently it has a black plastic air intake, straight exhaust pipe, has full plastic wheel mudguards and a lot of other little things. Yesterday was freedom day in NSW and most people went to get hair cuts or to the pub, me, I went and bought parts, ha ha, got my chrome quarter guards, chrome air intake, correct exhaust pipe and a few other bits and pieces. That photo of Uncle Cedric was on James Ruse Drive when it first opened and there was bugger all traffic, these days you could not pull up at that spot next to the rock wall. So looking forward to having it look as good as it is in this photo. Cheers Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226681 by Copper1117
The cab plate and how the truck currently looks.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, xspanrman, oliver1950, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 5 months ago #226695 by grandad
Another view
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, Tassie Dan, Copper1117

More
2 years 5 months ago #226696 by overnite
Looking at the state of the yard in the last photo, I’d guess it’s in Abood’s yard in Briens rd Northmead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226709 by Copper1117
Thanks for that photo of the truck head on, currently the driving lights are below the main bar next to the number plate but this photo shows them up high on the bar, which is what they would have been in the 80's, which is great for me to get it back as close to the 80's as possible.

And yes the photo is at Brien's Road depot, the truck is parked in the wash bay down the back corner of the property backing onto the Campbells Wholesale Shop (later becoming Hare & Forbes)
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Copper1117.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #226732 by hayseed
Copper1117, Have any of their Thornycrofts, or Fodens Survived...??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226735 by Copper1117
Yes we are lucky that we have been able to chase a few of them up and try and get them back into the family. One of our 1963 Thornycroft trucks was sold to a retired tractor collector in 2001 and he used the truck to move his tractors around the country. He sold us the truck back April 2020 and we have restored it to its original condition, photo below. It was still in Aboods colours when we got it back so was easy to ensure it remained period correct. The family has always retained "Mark Anthony" our most famous Foden. Currently the truck is with my cousin in Tweed Heads and he is restoring it, photos below. We know where our Delta Cab "Ronald Anthony" is (still working in regional Qld) and hope to one day secure it back and restore it, again it is still in the Aboods colours all these years later. It's sister Delta Cab truck which was owned and operated by the family long time sub contractor, Tony Saba, is now in the hands of a collector here in Sydney who is also hopping to restore it one day, it is in better condition than most as it was partially rebuilt prior to Tony passing. So there are a few out there and we are working hard to get them back into the family and bring them back to life.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, eerfree, PaulFH, oliver1950, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 5 months ago #226736 by mammoth
An out-lyer - I saw a Volvo F86 in Aboods livery in a yard west of Toowoomba a few years back. Will take a while to find a pic on my 'puta

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds