Skip to main content

Bedford Barn Find - Coffee truck Project

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #234224 by Snidely Whiplash
Virgin post: Have recently joined after acquiring a barn find Bedford truck.

Sold to me as a 1963 J1 (per NSW rego forms) but after a bit of investigation, it now appears to be a 1969 C model update of the J1 according to the ID numbers.

Seller had it for 40 years near Canberra, running it as vineyard and farm truck until it was rested some 10 years ago, with rego renewed up to early 2018. Seller purchased off "Tom" in Cessnock who had painted it green from original maroon and ran it on historic club plates. Seller was told Tom had bought it off local glazier in Cessnock area. I think I have tracked down original glazier business, Burnbridge Glass, who apparently ran a fleet of 4 maroon coloured Bedford trucks in the 60s and 70s.

My plan is just to get it running and registered again for now, creating some sort of canopy on the tray so I can operate it as a coffee roasting truck at farmers markets and road side stalls. Resprayed green paint is getting a bit rough but will clearcoat for patina effect for now and look at more robust resto down the track. I didn't get enough of my dad's resto nouse (1927 Buick roadster by hand, 67 mustang, Triumph Thunderbird) but keen to give it a go and learn along the way.
Cheers

Sorry, realise this should belong in Restoration Topic but don't know how to move it.

Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by Snidely Whiplash. Reason: wrong topic selected
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Inter-Action, Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950, Tassie Dan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #234225 by hayseed
Welcome mate.. I've Moved It to the Resto section for You.....

I reckon If It's In the N.S.W . as a '63.? I would let sleeping Dogs Lie.. will be more trouble than It's worth dealing with the RMS (or whatever they call themselves Today)..
Just my 2 cents worth..

Looks to be a very Good basis for any type of Project from the Pics you've put up..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Tassie Dan, Snidely Whiplash

More
2 years 1 week ago #234227 by Mrsmackpaul
Welcome to the forum, sounds like a good plam you have of just fixing it up and getting it registered

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Snidely Whiplash

More
2 years 1 week ago #234234 by Morris
Snidely, welcome from me also. It looks like a very straight truck and should be straightforward getting it on the road. As with all hydraulic braked vehicles, the brakes need doing up as you cannot take those two wooden "handbrakes" everywhere.

Next time I am in NSW I will look for you because I love coffee and markets. (I should be in Dubbo this Easter for the bi-annual Morris rally but my truck is not ready)

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Snidely Whiplash

More
2 years 1 week ago #234239 by cobbadog
Welcome Snidely to this great friendly Forum.
What a great starter as a project and a brilliant plan for its future. Are you planning on full rego or Club? As suggested your brakes will need attention and after that it should be just a good servicing before making an attempt to start up.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snidely Whiplash

More
2 years 1 week ago #234241 by mammoth
Bedford in their wisdom changed the model identities mid stream, so the TJ series became the C series with suffix letters and numbers denoting GVM, engine, etc
You will find a lot of info including all the factory colour codes in a back issue of Vintage Trucks and Commercials magazine. It was a series of modelling articles so doesn't jump out of the page but actually has more information relevant to restorers than modellers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tassie Dan, Snidely Whiplash

More
2 years 6 days ago #234358 by Snidely Whiplash
Thanks mammoth,
Any idea of year or edition? Craig from ACW has helped immensely with ID info which has been much appreciated.

More
2 years 6 days ago #234360 by Snidely Whiplash
Thanks all, yes a pretty straight truck and reasonable nick, hence my usage plan. Thks for moving my post Hayseed. Cobbadog, going for full rego as it will be used for markets and roadside stalls around Canberra. Morris, look forward to roasting some coffee beans for you.
Cheers for the welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, Tassie Dan

More
1 year 9 months ago #237535 by PDU
So the wife's name is Penelope then? ;)

More
1 year 9 months ago #237543 by jon_d
Looks neat.

As mentioned, first thing to do is overhaul the brakes. Stainless steel sleeve the master and slaves.
Sounds expensive but isn't and you'll not have a leaky cast iron brake. :cheer: :cheer:

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds