Skip to main content

1937 Dodge ME31 windscreen rubber and choke fitting to carbi

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250466 by Loadarup
Hi All

I have a few questions about my family’s 1937 Dodge ‘ME31 that I have been restoring for a bit over 12 months with the aim of keeping it original, and I’m hoping there might be a few people who have a similar model and gone through the restoration process that might be able to help in my query’s.

I’m looking at installing the new glass I have for the front and back windows and have brought some flat rubber (see attached photo) which they said is for a windscreen gasket, but been an Australian TJR cab and I’m not sure 100% if this is the correct one.
The rubber was worn away so I have no way identifying what’s needed.
Would anyone know the correct rubber to use and where I could obtain some from?

The engine and all the parts where store in a number of sheds for around 25 years and the part that joins the choke cable to the carbi has been lost( have included a photo of the carbi) , would anyone have a picture of what this part may look like and how it fits on?

have included a few pictures of the truck for those who might be interested 
The tray frame is made from Jarrah with Salmon gum as the top timbers 

kind regards 
Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, overnite, wee-allis, PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #250469 by Lang
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #250471 by PDU
Lang got in ahead of me with the choke linkage, but more importantly I have made a note never to compare my paint job to yours! Excellent job underway, more power to you . . .  
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250472 by Loadarup
Hi Fella’s
Thanks for the photos, they are appreciated.
Good to know what’s it looks like, I have been trying to guess for a while.
Too many hours…. But I’ll get to take my Dad and Aunties who are in there late 80’s and 90’s for a spin soon which was my aim
Gary
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, overnite, oliver1950

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250474 by Lang
Dodge (and Chevrolet) opening windscreens are notoriously hard to fit rubber to if the frame is at all corroded.

It looks like you have a fixed screen which makes things easier.

I had the "rubber" around the screen replaced on a 1940 Dodge Army staff car with the rubber form-a-gasket. This is special stuff not your ordinary silicon gasket maker.

The fellow who did it cut the shape of the rubber out of a very flexible light body-filler plastic spreader. He generously filled around the window glass with the liquid rubber and ran the shaped spreader around. He then very carefully got a petrol rag and wiped off any excess all around the body. He left he excess on the glass until it dried then removed easily with a razor blade.

It looked undetectable from real rubber and set to a nice flexible rubber feel.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250475 by Loadarup
Wow!
That pretty cool
Thanks for sharing

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250478 by Lang
Here is something I would try. Simpler, cheaper and less skill required.

Just fasten the glass in place with standard windscreen fix stuff and then run around with this self-stick extrusion. It looks very factory. If you go online there are several different sizes and profiles.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PDU, Loadarup

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250479 by Loadarup
Thanks Lang
That looks like a pretty good solution

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250480 by PDU
Top post Lang. Even though I have a new windscreen rubber for my Bedford, that easy-fix-it strip looks to be the way I might go instead. My existing seal is old, but does not leak as far as I have seen . . .and originally considered trying to use some form of silicone until deciding to do things "the right way".

Seems like it would give a clean look over a sound, but old, base. Worth a try before calling on the professionals to pull out the split screen with all the repercussions that might entail. 

Nothing lost if  I don't use the new seal just yet as I might need it if I ever get to my spare Bedford!?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250482 by cobbadog
That external sealing strip that Lang posted is brilliant. Only thing to be aware of is not to stretch it along as you go. It just mst might shrink in time n leave a gap at the join.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds