Skip to main content

Help with identification of old Chev

More
13 years 10 months ago #25856 by Skidd
Hi Eric, it's interesting that you say the 1/2 ton through to 1 1/2 ton all had the same guards because I've noticed some definite differences between the pickup and truck guards.

[hr]&&No matter what the cause

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #25857 by Manfred Range
If I remember right, the Maple Leafs had straight-cut gears, or am I 'out-to-lunch'? That historical story of the war years was very interesting, thanks, Manfred

Manny

More
13 years 10 months ago #25858 by Eric Hancock
Hi Skidd and Manfred,
You are correct in there being slight differences between different size 1942 Chev vehicles where required to suit different size chassis, running gear (smaller wheels etc) but being war years the main aim was to standardise.
The transmission was three speed for smaller and four speed for larger vehicles (no syncromesh as you say).
The Blitz was built in Canada with Chev engine (1941 engine I think) and numerous other parts. I believe the GMC also has many interchange parts.
Regards,
Eric

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #25859 by Caro
Guys, I'm thrilled to discover the amazing info available here... thanks so much for sharing.

I'm just starting a restoration on a couple of trucks and yet to work out exactly which model they are... I have 2 with the crank out windscreens that are almost complete (park lights missing from headlight cowling and tail lights missing) and 1 with a fixed windscreen and holden badge... I'll try and look for the vin's later today but someone has removed all the plates inside the engine bays... I can see lots of differences between the different ones though, including the curve of the cab roof, the dash etc.. All 3 have the reinforced 'military' chassis. Any help with 'year' for the first one from the photo below would be hugely appreciated :)

...hmmm.... photo not loading - sorry!

[img]C:\Users\Caro\Pictures\2012-08-09 Caro iphone\2012-11-03 Geoff's Iphone\Geoff's Iphone 384.JPG[/img]
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Caro.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds