Skip to main content

Inter Rear brakes lockup

• Topic Author
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #1615 by
Inter Rear brakes lockup was created by
Guys,

Need some suggestions.

My AB151 1965 Inter had a leaky flexible brake line. So replaced all the flex brake lines and many of the fixed lines that looked dogey (Or got damaged during removing the old flex!). Also flushed the brake lines of old fluid and replaced.

After bleeding and adjusting the brakes took it for a test run. Didn't even leave the house! One of the back wheels locked up! So pulled that wheel down to check it out and while apart replaced the rubber bits etc. Put it all back to gether. Bleed and adjusted. Same problem.

Put back axle on stands just so can check both sides. Pressurise system with pedal then went to turn one of the back wheels. Both rear wheels Locked up! (doing this by myself and I cant hold the brake pedal and reach the rear wheel!) So then I thought it might be the master cylinder not letting the pressure out. But I noticed that when in lock up situation turning the wheel in reverse appears to release the brakes! And when in reverse don't appear to get lock up.

So tried adjusting everything again. And still no improvements!

Any suggestions? Would it all be related to adjusting or should I look into another area?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #1616 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Inter Rear brakes lockup
I could be a smart ar$e and suggest driving everywhere in reverse but that would not be helpful!

To try and be a bit more helpful would it pay to take one of the drums off so you could see what is happening or is that more trouble than it is worth! I am wondering if there is something catching that catches going forward but reversing throws clear. I will ask around for you as I have to speak to a mechanic about my ute tomorrow so I will ask him

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #1617 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Inter Rear brakes lockup
Seeing as you can turn the wheels backwards I would rule out a pressure retention problem and would suggest it is an adjustment issue particularly, as I understand your post, one brake appears to not have been disturbed except for adjusting
Last edit: 15 years 11 months ago by ray.

More
15 years 11 months ago #1618 by podge66
Jarriod do you adjust one adjuster or both. Does your truck have 2 wheel cylinders on each wheel. The top adjuster is a bastard and make sure you go the right way. l always do the top and lock the wheel and then losen 2-3 notches till wheel turns , then do the bottom.
Stephen :o

• Topic Author
15 years 11 months ago #1619 by
Replied by on topic Re: Inter Rear brakes lockup
Bparo,

The AB151 has a full floating rear diff. Which means that the drum also incorporates the bearings etc. So to take the drum off means pulling bearings, stub axles etc! ::)

Hope your mechanic guy has a suggestion. I have actually taken a drum off the first time it happened (this was when I decided as a precaution to replace all the rubbers in that side!).

Ray,

My feeling is the same. But not sure how to adjust them correctly. Followed the instructions in the manual I have. Which simply indicates adjust brakes till cant turn the wheel. Then back off 6 clicks (adjusting star wheel). Maybe I have to go further or less? This is what is confusing.

• Topic Author
15 years 11 months ago #1620 by
Sorry podge you replying while I was! ;D

Yeah the AB has twin cylinders and twin adjusters on rear.

Both are being adjusted.

Manual says the top to adjust out pull tool (down) towards diff. Doesn't say for bottom! I assumed the same for bottom push towards diff. Certainly locked the wheel with both adjusters.

Interesting point that might be the issue. Both you and the manual (amazing what you see when you re-read) to do the front one first! I may have been doing the bottom first :o . Easier to do the bottom one! ;D Will try again on weekend :-/

Thanks Guys

More
15 years 11 months ago #1621 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Inter Rear brakes lockup
Jarrod, I would adjust them as steve says then I would continue backing them off a little more and see if that stops the locking up. Failing that it may have to be "drums off time" and see if they are full of dust which can cause problems

• Topic Author
15 years 11 months ago #1622 by
Tryed the suggestions on Saturday. Still had brake releasing problems!

Did notice that one of the drums was dripping a bit of brake fluid. So investigated. Didn't see anything wrong and this was the side I had a part recently. So assume I may have got a bit of dirt inside.

Haven't yet had a chance to put back to gether again yet.

• Topic Author
15 years 11 months ago #1623 by
Jarrod another thing it could be leaking diff oil in to the drums and when they get cold they will lock up i have same problem with one side of rears on the 34.Dave

• Topic Author
15 years 11 months ago #1624 by
Thanks Deadly for the suggestion.

No sign of diff oil in brakes. Have recently got some brake fluid at the moment. :-[ But the seals for the diff oil appear in great condition. And the seal for the wheel bearing grease is also appear in good order. No sign of diff oil in bearing grease (floating axle). And no grease in brakes.

Think it must be either to do with some sort of adjustment but gone over it so many times! Unfortunately will be about a fortnight before I can look at it again.

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds