Skip to main content

Bugger

More
13 years 10 months ago #31318 by Sarge
Bugger was created by Sarge
By comparison to Jake, Basil and some other sufferers, only a little Bugger, but bugger never the less....
got the mighty ACCO home from the doctors with a bill I cant come to grips with... the injectors and pump have been reconditioned she runs well but the truck still is a battle to start cold... aerostart may be my new best friend.

Once home droped the rear cross member to weld a crack and replace the buggered rear engine/gear box mounts, all good, shoved it back, I wondered about opening the clutch inspection cover, as the cross member covers it.......shoulda.... :o
after bolting the cross member back up I notice something shining inside the cover, found a busted sping in there. :'( :'(
Its was about Inch & quarter long, I asume its a clutch plate spring... I also assume the advice of you gurus is stop sooking and pull the bloody thing out????

While I was hoping it was a bad dream I decided to pull the radiator out to fit a shroud I had bought, I knew I had a bit of fin rot in the radiator but up close and personal it looks a bit worse???? though I have been told its not fatal, as long as the tubes are sound.
But the dirty stain where the top tank joins.... thats a worry..... :-/ :o

Saying bugger loudly does not help and attracts unwanted questions from the finance minister... :-*

gave it away and came to work.... but "bugger" happened here too...

back to the tissue box

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31319 by wgipps
Replied by wgipps on topic Re: Bugger
Sarge - even i (the least mechanical person on the planet) knows that if youve got the opportunity to do all the big stuff at once, you bite the bullet and do it.
As to the finance minister, if labor has shown us nothing in recent times its that portfolios can be shuffled at will - so i recommend that you remove the finance ministers portfoilio and take it upon yourself (along with the prime minister of the household duties) and give her the portfolios of sport, entertainment and nourishment - and then make her the clean up day ambassador!!

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?&qu

More
13 years 10 months ago #31320 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Bugger
Yep thats a bugger Sarge.
I can send you over a clutch if you need it. Wont cost you anything so there is a little pain gone. :)
Does your Perkins have the cold start dribble pot on it ?..If it does is it working.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31321 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: Bugger
Dont let your perkins become addicted. We had a P4 perkins in a forklift. It lived on Aerostart & the battery charger. 4 cyl fergies were the same.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
13 years 10 months ago #31322 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Bugger
Basil, that is an extraordinarily generous offer, thank you, I have had a read of my workshop manwell... he no help very much... there are a variety of clutches, pressure plates and flywheels, in the book, (11,12,13,14 & 15 inch, dished and flat flywheels etc ) I am not sure if I have any one of them.

BSPete brought the tissue box over and kicked me into gear, we have built a gear box trolley so tomorrow (or next day) I can unbolt the bell housing and back the whole lot away in one go.

And Basil, as to the dribble pot, the answer is yes, pot dribbles, flames go poomp, lotsa white smoke.. battteries get tired, wiff of gas climb back in cab, couple of cranks and BRRRMMMM.

I have become like BruceP "hiding in shed all covered in muck"

Should take some pics... tomorrow

/me

Sarge B)

More
13 years 10 months ago #31323 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Bugger
hi sarge
im glad you got the chance to catch mick in his yard.
this might be the ideal time to convince the war and finance minister that its time to up date to that big ATKI :-?

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31324 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Bugger
Pat, too scared to tackle that one....
I need to find what Mick's secret is, he has got trucks breeding in his yard, a new one pops up after every rain.

and we need to push him into driving one/some to Alice.

/me

Sarge B)
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Sarge.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31325 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Bugger
Sarge,

You have been a most helpfull forumer to me lately being my Midlands eyes so helping you get to the sausage sizzle is the least I can do....its what this forum is all about.

Once you get the clutch out take a picture and send to me and I will see if ive got one on the shelf. Pretty sure it will be the run of the mill 14" Inter.
The perkins in my loader wont start well at all unless it has a good battery. No spinny quick...no go. >:(

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31326 by coupe
Replied by coupe on topic Re: Bugger
G'day mate,
I have just fitted a new clutch kit to a 1971 breadbox inter with a 6354 perkins for my boss.
We used a chain and bar between the cab and the tray to hold the box up and a "come along" or you could use a endless chain but these are usually to big and heavy. to lift it and put it down on the ground.(you know while it is out give it a good clean check the seals etc.)
There is a few different clutchs for these trucks also. So pull yours out first.
As for the dribble pot. I removed it about three years ago of this same truck and had the pump rebuilt and it starts easy. Maybe ask the rebuilter why this is happening to yours. Is there an air leak or something. Check the pick up inside the tank. I have found some of these are shorter than others and fitting a longer one(either out of another tank if you have one or you can make one. this :) seems to fix a few problem at times.

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31327 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bugger
The easiest way I found, to do any engine or tranny work on my old Butterbox C-1840, was to unbolt the front bumper, the grille and surround .. then remove the radiator.
Drill out the 4 rivets holding the front chassis crossmember (the one that supports the front of the engine), and pull the crossmember out (jack up and support the engine while you do this, of course).

Once the crossmember is out, you slide an engine crane or a jib on a forklift, straight in over the top of the motor, and attach chains at 3 or 4 points to motor and tranny.

Unbolt the gearshift mechanism, the uni joints, the rear engine mountings, and then unplug the engine wiring, and disconnect the fuel lines.

At this point, you just roll the engine crane back, or drive backwards with the fork (or roll the truck back) .. and the engine, clutch, and tranny, all come out in one piece .. and you can work on any part of all three, at leisure .. without gut-busting twisting, climbing, and awkward reaching overhead.

When you're done with the repairs .. roll the whole lot back into the hole again .. button up all the above that was disconnected .. re-install the front chassis crossmember, and put 4, grade 8 bolts, back in place of the rivets you chopped out. Re-install radiator, grille and bumper, and you're right to roll.

This might sound like a lot of work .. but it's no more than 2 hrs in total .. and I can tell you, once you've done it .. you wonder why you ever tried to work on the motor or tranny, in the truck .. :(

Of course, the 4 bolts in the front crossmember are the equivalent of a zipper, next time it all has to come out .. :D

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds