Skip to main content

Bugger

More
13 years 10 months ago #31328 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Bugger
JuanT.... I am thinking I have heard of this before... I thought about it this time,
but too late as the bishop said to the nun... the bell housing is now all unbolted and just waiting me me to roll the trolley back, had to knock off as I undid the last bolt.

I already have the radiator out and my cross member has already been boltified...,
shoulda had a bigger look... I am on intimate terms with all the wiring, all carefully colour coded in yellow, it was the bits and cables and pipes and lines that put me off. And I like lying on cold concrete covered in muck etc.... :P

and there wont be a next time

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31329 by Sarge
Despite not doing as JuanT suggested I got the box to roll back on my home made trolley and the clutch is out....

the culprits (Sorry about the focus... cant see the camera without glasses or the subject with 'em)

the problem

one of the springs that escaped looks complete and the retaining wires are not broken, gotta wonder how the little sucker got out, and why all one one side... does one breaking cause the neighbour to fail and so on???

Pressure plate seems fine, no uneven wear on plates or faces...

and the trolley

and the hole at the front I could have used

that power point looks a little nasty!!!!

/me

Sarge B)

More
13 years 10 months ago #31330 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Bugger
The clutch plate linings are worn out anyway Sarge. If you where doing the job for someone else and didn't want a comeback, you'd pull the flywheel off, get it machined and put a reco or new pressure plate,clutch plate,spigot bearing and throwout bearing. But if you don't use the truck to much, you could try just replacing the plate and checking the bearings, worse comes to worse, if it doesn't work, you'll just have to pull the box out and replace the lot anyway. I think it was about $750 for a reco clutch and machine the flywheel on the Reo with a GM in it.

Just hang your safety vest on that powerpiont.

13 years 10 months ago #31331 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bugger
I dunno about that power point .. but that transmission jack is the most amazing scrap setup I've ever seen. I could well imagine a Workcover/Worksafe inspector using pics of that, as a prime example of what they are seeking to ban .. :(

And as for the engine support .. ::) .. well, we won't even start on the total abandonment of safety principles behind using flimsy concrete blocks to support serious weight, will we?? .. ::) .. you'd better hope they didn't skimp on the % of high strength concrete in the mix .. :)

FYI - A concrete block (or cinder block, as the Americans call them, because they often contain a sizeable % of fly ash) has a safe load capacity of about 100 kg.
You should NEVER use a concrete block to support any serious amount of weight, because the structure and composition of concrete blocks can vary so much, it isn't funny.
If you want to see a safety inspector go ballistic, use concrete blocks to block up a serious amount of weight.

The weight carried by a concrete block in the wall of a building is only miniscule, compared to the heavy loading applied to a block, that is used to support machinery or components.

Hardwood blocks placed in a horizontal criss-cross pattern are the minimum acceptable form of blocking .. but steel machinery stands .. and certified steel machinery stands .. are highly recommended, if you place any kind of value on your life and limbs .. :)

When I was a kid, I had a 17 yr old brother who owned his first car .. a '37 Chev .. and one day he decided to jack it up and get under it for repair. He built a nice support stand out of bricks laid criss-cross fashion .. and then got under it, and started pulling on spanners.
No, the bricks didn't break .. the sand he put them on, gave way .. :D .. and the car landed on top of him .. :o
By the sheerest amount of good luck, he wasn't crushed, and he escaped with just a huge gash in one arm .. :(

Take great care with your blocking. A $25 machinery stand is a real good insurance investment, as compared to debilitating injury, or even death.
It happens all too often, and that's why we end up with Nazi-style Machinery inspectors .. :(

More
13 years 10 months ago #31332 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Bugger
I dunno Ron, that gearbox jack looks OK to me, it looks like the gearbox is suported so it can't roll off, and the jacks and turnbuckles look like they'll be pretty good for adjustment when Sarge is under there trying to kick it back in.

I would agree on the old Besser Block, I've seen those things crumble pretty easy, though he does have a block of wood on top, and it is only holding up a Perkins. If there was a 350 Cummins on top of it I'd be a bit weary, maybe 2 bits of wood. (LOL)

I most defiatly agree about the stands. Axle stands are cheap. It is also amazing the amount of people who wil gladly get under an unproped Tipper Body as well.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31333 by Sarge
JuanT and BC, you very nearly got me, but you missed the 6 x 3 redgum plank resting on the springs holding the massive perk up... the high quality compression tested (used before) C&M block is just holding the jack.... ;)

Pressure plate looks like it has been reco'd but will seek expert (nothing in it for them) opinion. And need may need to do the front seal on the box too.

/me

Sarge B)

13 years 10 months ago #31334 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bugger
Sarge I had to replace a clutch out back of Ayers Rock (Giles Weather Station) and to save money only had the clutch plate flowen in on a plane put it in every thing great 20 miles down the track it starts to slip. :'(

Moral of the story is replace the clutch plate and machine the fly wheel as its easy at home than on the side of the road and cheaper in the long run. Dave ;) ;)

More
13 years 10 months ago #31335 by JimmyDodge
Replied by JimmyDodge on topic Re: Bugger
G'day Sarge, sorry to hear of your of your dilemma with the clutch, but I have to agree with Dave, seeing you have come so far I would do the lot . The thought of getting that heavy flywheel on and off, to get it machined sends a shiver down my spine.
The thought of a problem on the side of the road on the way to Alice makes me break out in a cold sweat.
Put a kit in it Sarge, pressure plate, clutch plate and throw out bearing. Problem sorted.
Harleigh

More
13 years 10 months ago #31336 by busntruck
Replied by busntruck on topic Re: Bugger
I would never do a clutch for a customer without the pressure plate, bearings & flywheel skim.
It's worth the extra $.

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

More
13 years 9 months ago #31337 by Sarge
I don't think I said Bugger loud enough >:( >:( >:(

acting on your good advice and my clutch specialst's instructions, I delivered the clutch and pressure plate to him, to be sent next day to Melbourne for refurbishment and new plate.
Go to collect on Friday as arranged... sorry, the carrier was having a bad day and it didnt get sent on time, will be back Monday. (Weekend wasted)... Monday, pick up clutch and pressure plate ... whats missing... thrust bearing... Ohh yeah, they didnt know which one so they didnt send one....
Take what bits I got in their boxes, got home, in the shed, notice clutch looks a little small.... yes 11 inches should be 12. Back next day... Sorry sorry sorry (doesnt fix the truck >:()

2 days later new clutch 12 inch, new thrust bearing, and last night Pete comes over, we start getting dirty, compress the pressure plate grease the thrust, crawl in and under, BLOODY THING WONT FIT [smiley=thumbdown.gif] >:( :-/
drag it out, clutch centre too big to fit inside pressure plate.... and my man is closed Saturdays...
at least this is not costing Munee...

Hope the rest of you have kept well away from black cats and ladders... or was it my mother in law...
she's flying in to petes for a few days :-?... good luck Bro. :-? thanks for the help [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

/me

Sarge B)

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds