Skip to main content

1949 Dennis F1 Fire Truck Restoration

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #46983 by Beaver
OK B ;Dugly, I'll try and put something up at the weekend for you.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #46984 by Bugly

I am missing a couple of 6.50x20 tyres, but I do have the 2-piece wheels. The spare is missing the tyre and the lock ring for the wheel, which is not split but which looks like it stretches over the main wheel rim. There are two sections of the lock ring which are shaped to allow fitting after stretching. Does anyone have a spare lock ring lying around? I'll post a picture or two of the wheel assembly after I take some photos.

Hi Bugly, I rebuilt an F1 about 10 years ago from the ground up. Recently sold it to another WA enthusiast, who is also an active volunteer fire fighter. I still have a workshop manual if you would like a copy and I know of a spare chassis with front and rear axles, wheels, propshaft etc that is available, but you will have to be quick as it is due to be sent for scrap very soon. Ian

Ian from Perth put me onto Steve, the buyer of his fire truck. Steve wants to keep the running gear for his own supply of spare parts, but was quite happy to send the wheels and tyres up to me in Darwin. Plus all the wheel nuts for both sides. So here they are, ready for pick-up on Monday. I

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #46985 by bigcam
Bugly, are you sure he's shrink wrapped that pallet properley? Reminds me of a scene out of Bad Boy Bubby. He's not taking any chances.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #46986 by Bugly

Bugly, are you sure he's shrink wrapped that pallet properley? Reminds me of a scene out of Bad Boy Bubby. He's not taking any chances.

The wheels are also steel-banded to the pallet a couple of times under the shrink-wrap as well. They'll be going nowhere except to Darwin!

More
13 years 1 week ago #46987 by Bugly
My mother

More
13 years 1 week ago #46988 by mammoth
The 7.00 X 20 Chinese tyres were readily available up to a few years ago but have since disappeared from the market and I suspect that 7.50 wil soon go the same way. Grab em while you can otherwise they will have to come from USA for lots of $$$.
The wheel pattern was common to light pommy trucks of the time but with lots of variations. You did well to them them in good condition.

More
13 years 1 week ago #46989 by Beaver
David Stuart Antique Tyre Supplies in Sydney
www.business.com.au/david-stuart-antique-tyre-supplies/ supplies us with Denman 600, 650, 700x20 and chinese 750x20 at quite reasonable prices.

Usually available from stock, or ex warehouse Melbourne in a couple of days.

He probably sourves them from this location www.antiquetyres.com.au/tyre-brands/vintage-truck :

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
13 years 1 week ago #46990 by Bugly
Thanks Beaver and Mammoth, much appreciated. I have previously dealt with Ben from Antique Tyres, who has always been most helpful. I might have to make a move soon while the Aussie dollar is strong, but I suppose with bin Laden now bin Deaden ;D the Yankee dollar will strengthen and level the playing field again ::)

More
13 years 1 week ago #46991 by shuby
G'day Bugly- tHnks for making the effort to reply to my new post re '24 Graham Bros Truck. Now I don't know if this is of any help, but only last week back, I and a friend of mine visited a HUGE fire engine collection housed at MILANG SA - we were amased at this collection of many early fire engine units, but also more modern (?) units such as the origional RIVERTON S.A. SES UNIT. Now this one had meaning to me as I saw this unit being built by local volunteer members -most enthusiastic, and they did a great job. I understand this particular unit only saw about 4 yrs service before it was de-commissioned, and only by shear luck on behalf of a local Milang Member of their museum, saw it just before this unit was being scrapped - that it was saved in it's entirety, and now forms a major part of THEIR collection as it is the only SES vehicle there. BUt my main reason for contact was that they have many Dennis units in their collection -all totally origional. I'm sure they may be able to help you with advice or photos etc as they have a similar unit in their collection. If anyone is visiting in the area of MILANG SA. I can recommend looking up this collection - it is outstanding. Also a similar unit (I think) exists in the Loxton Historical Village LOXTON SA.
Good luck with yr restoration. shuby.

More
13 years 1 week ago #46992 by Davefarma
Nice work on the truck Budgy. when i have a bolt that breaks off I put a nut over the broken bolt hole and weld the inside of the nut to the bolt, simalar to what was suggested but instead of uncrewing the bolt with vice or multi grips you can use a spanner or socket. same thing applies the welding heats up the bolt and shrinks when it cools.

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds