Skip to main content

4WD Compressor for backup air for starting a Mack

More
15 years 8 months ago #4251 by werkhorse
Well as a Diesel Mechanic, and having had to start a few stubborn Dog's in my time in snow and thru lack of motion lotion, the easiest way I've found it to flip the bonnet pump the living hell out of the primer pump use what air is in the start tank then start on the tyre air usually only had to use one tyre even in the snow. never had one not start 8-) 8-)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 8 months ago #4252 by Swishy
Australian Mack were standard with air start
ifn U wanted electric start u paid xtra
Kenworth were Electric start n u paid xtra for air start (Both our KW R air start)
Mack aslo came out with a system where by U isolted the main tank when shutn down engine n th@ way all the air twaz available to start the beast
I'v dun all sorts of things to get air start to work but never bothered lettn tyres down to get er dun
U can roll start ifn u can get the parking brakes released (seperate air tank foe emergency brake release)
we have auto cars
so when a battery is near the end of its reliable life we just stik it in one of the air start trucks as all it has to do is run lights etc
ifn U fix all the air leaks @ air start it should B able to hold enuff air to start donk for a few months
U can always carry a fully charged tank in your car for emergencies
or use a BOC oxy bottle
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 8 months ago #4253 by monty
Hey Fellas thanks for all the responce's

it certinaly has given me a better idea from some real world experances etc on how to start the beast.

and dunc i was joking, so i got you there. heheheheh ;D

i am only a tyer kicker with a big toy, no work shop as such i just borrow others, to do my restoration so i dont have access to a huge compressor to fall back on.

i was thinking about getting an inverter from 12v to 240v to run a small superCheep compressor, but that is another bag of issues. one like there are no power socets in middle of nowhere and when you need one

i have found that making sure that it is primed prior to starting is one of the best options.

this is my beast the cream and white one
www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?autocom=garage&CODE=view&id=30

-Monty

this is a post from another forum i posted this question.

Hi Monty and Thad,
I'm in the same boat as you Monty.
Can't use the tyres to charge as I run mine at about 30psi (again like you bob-tailing).
I also thought about the 4wd compressor but disgarded the idea as I think it would burn out,.
I vaguely remember working out that the air start tank was around 200litres.
What I have done on the odd occasion is flag down a 4wd enthusiast for a recharge. They are friendly and helpful.

I will tell you a couple of tricks I use.
I've installed an electric fuel pump in line with the injector pump. So when I haven't started the old girl for awhile, I turn on the electric primer and wait until I have continuous flow back into the tank before attempting a start. I leave it on until about 2 minutes after the engine is started and then turn it off.
Afraid I'm too old to be head down - arse up priming for hours.
Secondly, and you may have seen this already, when you hit the air starter button, HOLD IT IN UNTIL either the engine fires or you run out of air, whichever occurs first.
If you want to deplete your air supply really quickly then just push and release - you may get about 3 attempts.
You mentioned 90psi. To me that is really low and with mine, it may not be enough for an attempt.
Look for air leaks - use highly concentrated soapy water sprayed on all the air supply lines etc.
Just remember the air supply for starting is very simple - tank, a couple of lines and starter. It should not be supplying pressure to anything else.
I've also put a VERY cheap air pressure gauge on the supply tank. Keeps me informed.
Hope this helps. Rod.

More
15 years 8 months ago #4254 by huppypuppy

Hey Fellas thanks for all the responce's

it certinaly has given me a better idea from some real world experances etc on how to start the beast.

and dunc i was joking, so i got you there. heheheheh ;D

i am only a tyer kicker with a big toy, no work shop as such i just borrow others, to do my restoration so i dont have access to a huge compressor to fall back on.

i was thinking about getting an inverter from 12v to 240v to run a small superCheep compressor, but that is another bag of issues. one like there are no power socets in middle of nowhere and when you need one

i have found that making sure that it is primed prior to starting is one of the best options.

this is my beast the cream and white one
www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?autocom=garage&CODE=view&id=30

-Monty

Monty,

Are both those R-Models yours or is one? And was that photo taken inside the RAAF Base in Palmer Street?

Joe

More
15 years 8 months ago #4255 by monty
Hey Joe

The Cream and white one is. the others Ed's, the same owner that owns the brockway in one of the previous posts.

the photo was taken outside the pub at Ballimore for one of our club runs. in the back ground are the wheat silos.

-Monty

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #4256 by huppypuppy

Hey Joe

The Cream and white one is. the others Ed's, the same owner that owns the brockway in one of the previous posts.

the photo was taken outside the pub at Ballimore for one of our club runs. in the back ground are the wheat silos.

-Monty

Monty,

I knew the blue and white one belonged to Ed Eminson - I saw it and your one at this year's Golden Oldies Truck Club Truck Show - come to think of it, I saw yours last year too!

Did they change to the tilt bonnet from the "Flintstone" butterfly-style or was that optional?

Joe

PS: The photos of Ed's Brockway were taken by me!!!
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by huppypuppy.

More
15 years 8 months ago #4257 by monty
Hey Joe.

initunaly they came out with steel fnders, then it was a little bit later it became an option, as was the steel fenders, from memory. then it was al fiber glass, untill the army got steel fenders again.

-monty

More
15 years 8 months ago #4258 by monty
Apparently this is what you need, spoke to the bloke in the shop, and a fella with a mack that leeked badley so he hooked this up.

i have also thourght of a starter motor and some air pump but dont know what sort of pumps are out there.

www.oppositelock.com.au/detail.asp?dxdep...xcatid=30&ixkey=6771

Oasis XD2000 Air Comp
Item No: RGACXD2

GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Oasis XD2000 12/24 volt Extreme Duty Air Compressor
DETAILED DESCRIPTION
Will inflate a 35 x 12.50 R15 tire from 15 psi to 30 psi in less than one minute!

The Oasis Trailhead XD 2000 Air Compressor is a York air conditioning air compressor, powered by a 12/24 Vdc winch motor. The same unit will operate on either voltage.
Now you can have the performance of a belt-driven air compressor (or better, depending on how fast you would have been willing to run your engine while using a belt compressor - this unit runs at 1650 RPM @ 50 psi) with the convenience of a dc compressor you can mount anywhere - it can even be made portable! You don

15 years 8 months ago #4259 by
Monty,

That would be more the size and power you would need. But again be aware of the current draw. This will flatten a normal battery very quickly with out outside charging.

For example if you have a 100amp hour battery at 12V it would be totally flat in say 3/4 of an hour!

As for your idea of using a starter motor. Starter motors are high amp also. I would guess that the compressor you are talking about probably uses a motor similar to a starter motor. Starter motors could draw from about 100amps upwards. Even a standard starter motor solenoid can draw about 10amps. And with continual use the heat could end up making the motor or the solenoid fail. Again however it couldn't run for very long before the battery would fail.

The question is how long would either option have to run to fill up the tank? And will the battery last!

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #4260 by monty
Thanks JBlair, more things to think about.

i was thinking of attaching the starter motor to this, might have to get another battery then.
offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/product/006_00..._AIR_COMPRESSOR.html

1 cubic feet equels to 28.316847 liters per minite
8 cubic feet equels to 226.534776 liters per minite

May be this wont have to run to long to fill? any way thats another idea.

ExtremeFlow

This compressor puts out a whopping 8 CFM at 100psi. Capable of 200psi, the unit has a greasable zerk fitting for lubrication and uses high temperature synthetic grease. ExtremeFlow compressors will fill tires, run air tools and can be used whenever large volume of air is needed. Each unit is manufactured with the highest quality components for the ultimate in performance. The compact size makes for easy installation. Dimensions are 5.5" in diameter, 8.5" long with eight mounting ears. This is the ultimate compressor for speed, volume and performance.

This is an engine Driven Compressor, in order to use this a suitable bracket must be fabricated to attach the compressor to your vehicles engine. The compressor comes with either a serpentine or V belt, Choose the correct one for your vehicle below.

bit cheeper than the other big unit.

-Monty
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by monty.

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds