Skip to main content

Kirkstall Diff.

More
12 years 11 months ago #51842 by RocksnRoses
Kirkstall Diff. was created by RocksnRoses
I am new here, but I have been browsing the forum for a while.

We have a bogie drive Atkinson, late '60's early '70's, I am not real sure, with a 250 Cummins and Kirkstall diffs. We still use it as a yard truck around our crushing plant, but it has stripped the splines on the end of the drive axles where they spline into the drive gears on the front diff. The splines are small fine splines, whereas the splines on another single drive axle we have are coarse splines.The power divider diff also has one short axle and one long axle, whereas the axles in the single drive diffs are the same length. The numbers on the diff are: List 16745, Ratio 5:65, Serial 309.

I realise Kirkstalls diffs are probably as rare as hen's teeth these days, but i was wondering if anyone might be able to help us out at all with two gears and axles.

RnR.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #51843 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Kirkstall Diff.
Try Boss Engineering at Narrendera N.S.W.
pH.02 69593030.

Don't know about the Axle, But could definaitly make the two gears.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by hayseed.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #51844 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
RocknRoses, I think I have the same axles in my Bogie drive ERF MV models but i have 3 good diffs & need 4.
Same diff ratio of 5.65. and correct the single drives are definately different.
If someone has a wide bodies ERF or Atkinson, you need the front axle & I need the rear axle.
I didn't notice the difference in axle length though but I haven't pulled both out, didn't seem very off centre. Is the difference only slight?

If yours are the same as mine in the pic, then for anyone out there you are looking for T48 Kirkstal Bevel Spur reduction bogie drive diffs, 10 stud hubs with S cams & 7 inch 2 piece brake linings.

I also want a replacement curved crossmember as the one on top centre pictured has gas axe cut out.
best of luck to both of us, someone will hopefully have a spare bogie. Stephen

Kind Regards
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman.

More
12 years 11 months ago #51845 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic Re: Kirkstall Diff.
G'day RocksnRoses

I got a 66 Atkinson single drive that i bought with no axles. I went the other week to Nagambie to visit a bloke called Bruce Parris. A few guys here a farmiluiar with him, he has a collection of old Atkinsons and a shed full of bits including quiet a few Kirkstall axles. I got a pair of coarse spline axles and he has a number of fine spline axles.
Bruce is a true gentleman, he took the time to show me around his yard and help me find what im looking for. His number is 5794 2400.

More
12 years 11 months ago #51846 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Kirkstall Diff.
There was a couple of diff centres at Beenleigh Truck Wreckers (Brisbane) not that long ago, I didn't see any axles though, might be worth a call.

More
12 years 11 months ago #51847 by RocksnRoses
Replied by RocksnRoses on topic Re: Kirkstall Diff.
Thank you very much for the information hayseed, JohnK and bigcam, that gives me some places to start looking.

S-H-S, the difference in length between the two axles we have is 170mm. The picture below gives you some idea of the offset.

RnR.

More
12 years 9 months ago #51848 by RocksnRoses
I thought I would post an update to this thread, not a lot of luck so far. I rang Bruce Parris and Beenliegh Truck Wreckers, both were very obliging, but neither of them could help me out with my gears and axles. I am not looking into getting new ones made just yet, purely because of the cost, there is a very good machinist here who said that he could make the gears as well, but it would be expensive. He also has some contacts that are looking for parts, so I will see what comes of that. If anyone has any other ideas, I would certainly be interested in hearing them.

RnR

More
12 years 9 months ago #51849 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Kirkstall Diff.
If you are getting desperate importing from a wrecker in England. Freight will be the tricky bit though.

More
12 years 9 months ago #51850 by RocksnRoses
I'm not desperate at this stage, mammoth, but that thought had crossed my mind. A lot of old British trucks used Kirkstall axles, so you would think there would still be a lot of parts around, over there.

RnR

More
12 years 9 months ago #51851 by Fuller-Vit
Replied by Fuller-Vit on topic Re: Kirkstall Diff.
You could try some wreckers in Kiwi land.
Loads of old pommie stuff over there, in particular ERF, a lot of them had Kirkstall diffs.
Would be a cheaper freight option and the Kiwi dollar is about 30% less than ours.
Just my 20c worth. :)

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds