Skip to main content

Inter D1610 4X4 Info please

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #68707 by
Replied by on topic Re: Inter D1610 4X4 Info please
Here's a link (below) to a large Dept of Infrastructure PDF file, that is a 1980 report/review regarding rural speed limits. On pages 13 & 14, and again in Tables I & II (pages 25 & 26) .. it clearly itemises the speed limits in force during that year, plus the historical speed limits .. for all vehicles, and for all zones.

It clearly outlines that the historical "open road" speed limit for heavy trucks was 40mph (64kmh) up to "the 1972-74 (speed limit) review" .. 50mph or 80kmh, up to "the 1977-79 review" (metric speed limits were introduced progressively from 1974) .. and at the current date of the speed limit review paper (1980), the heavy truck speed limit was still 80kmh.
The report also notes that "an additional (speed) limit of 30mph (for trucks) in built-up areas was abolished in 1969".

Interestingly, in the State-by-State listing, the speed limits for QLD are not itemised, and merely have a dash in place of a number.
This seems to indicate that QLD alone amongst the States had no open-road speed limit for trucks in the 1970's.

"I rest me case, yer 'onor" .. as the super-annuated old trukkee from Wantirna would say .. :D

A Review of Rural Speed limits in Australia - January 1980 .. www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/p...df/Rural_Speed_3.pdf (big file - about 4MB)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #68708 by Bruce99
It's got to be 100 now & for some time or else the "100 speed limited" sign becomes a joke?
A few roads in SA now have been reduced to 80 FOR ALL TRAFFIC.

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
12 years 5 months ago #68709 by PeterE
Update.
The D1610 is home and upon inspection tidy.
Engine sounds lovely and smooth. Driveline fair (couple of unis and a slip yoke to replace.) Body very reasonable - some panels new-ish, a little rust in bottom of one door. Brakes need work.... Bled everything and got some brakes, but some F__Wit has bashed all the adjusters and I'll have to remove all the wheels to fix properly: Guess what? Back right is too badly damaged to move and the brakes are jammed on. :'(
Does anyone have advise on their favourite method for getting off drums on stuck brakes?
It's real stuck - I can just drive the wheel backwards in low range.
Ta , Peter

Peter&&Narrogin WA&&AT4 229

More
12 years 5 months ago #68710 by jeffo

Onetrack

Does anyone else recall such a rule in QLD and or any other State.

Yes Peter, used to be a big sign at Goondiwindi when you crossed the border, 50mph for trucks in NSW.
When you went back the other way, 60mph for trucks in QLD.
You spent more time watching your mirrors than looking ahead, checking for those NSW police mini's.
The occasional wander into the gravel shoulder would sort out those tailgaters.

More
12 years 4 months ago #68711 by kenny-mopar
i can remember the 50mph-80kmh here in nsw ... can also remember the 70mph (112kmh) limit for cars on some sections of the F3 . . . i was running at one stage a leyland boxer with a 75kmh top speed ... had to quickly sell that truck due to the road rage that was happening behind me !

12 years 4 months ago #68712 by
Peter, I doubt whether you'll be able to remove the drum with the brake shoe locked against it. You'll have to find a way to release the pressure.
I'd be thinking about some way to slice the adjuster .. a quick nip through the adjuster slot with a small cutting tip on the gas axe?

Cheers - Ron.

More
12 years 4 months ago #68713 by PeterE
Yes Ron, I fear the worst....
I am thinking of trying this - what you think?
Remove wheels and axle as normal, remove all studs in brake wheel cylinders and push with hope.
My theory being that the wheel cylinders will fall in (miraculously without damage!) and the shoes will fall inwards - Wallah (oz spelling).
Peter

More
12 years 4 months ago #68714 by PeterE
Forgot to add.
Noticed today that it has been driven by mechanical insensitives. The front and rear tailshaft slip-joints are both flogged - about an 1/8" of movement out of alignment! And two of the yokes had loose bolts....
Not hard to fix but annoying that people don't notice stuff.... :-/

12 years 4 months ago #68715 by
Peter - I thought about unbolting the wheel cylinder, too .. but if the pistons and shoes are fully returned in the cylinder, and sitting on solid metal in the cylinder internals, as they should be .. then I'm not sure that anything will be gained by unbolting them.

Yes, it sounds like there's been a real steering wheel attendant at the controls of the truck. Too many people never get underneath and check anything on a regular basis.
Loose drivetrain components nearly always result in vibration, and a driveline vibration starting up, is usually enough to make you go looking.

More
12 years 4 months ago #68716 by Bugly

but some F__Wit has bashed all the adjusters and I'll have to remove all the wheels to fix properly: Guess what? Back right is too badly damaged to move and the brakes are jammed on. :'(

Peter, you might have to back up a step. You say that the back right is too badly damaged to move. Are these internal or external adjusters? If external you might be able to weld a nut on to the end of the shaft and undo it with a socket. If internal, perhaps make a larger hole at the adjuster big enough to stick a cold chisel in there. You can always repair the backplate again after the drum is off. Presume by now it is soaking in CRC or WD40 or something!

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Time to create page: 0.444 seconds