Skip to main content

Old style thermostat replacement

More
12 years 3 months ago #73218 by ComTruck
G'day all,

has anyone ever removed an older style thermostat similar to this one below, and replaced it with a more modern type simply for ease of operation, and a guarantee of it working more effectively?

if so, is it a safe bet, and are there any considerations i should make prior too?

Cheers!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago #73219 by
I have used the later style thermostats in my ww 2 jeep and series 1 LandRovers they work just as good. And the rivet counters can't even tell.

More
12 years 3 months ago #73220 by mammoth
On some of the older set ups (Leyland & AEC for example) the thermostat also opened a bypass as it closed the main flow to the radiator and a modern one can't do that. Yours looks like a simple type which is suited to substitution by a modern.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #73221 by JBran
Comtruck, sorry to go slightly off topic here, but where on earth is the thermostat located on this engine? Is it the bit that sticks out the top of the waterpump where the radiator hose connects to? And also, can you post on here if you find a suitable replacement that works?
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by JBran.

More
12 years 2 months ago #73222 by Rookie
I'm interested in what you come up with also.
What would be a good starting point for the temp rating of the thermostat, for a petrol or diesel engine? Any difference between the two?

On some of the older set ups (Leyland & AEC for example) the thermostat also opened a bypass as it closed the main flow to the radiator and a modern one can't do that. Yours looks like a simple type which is suited to substitution by a modern.

Is this the bypass you speak of?

If this is the bypass, both my buses have been blanked off, and are running no thermostat. Would running no thermostat cause any problems on a diesel?

More
12 years 2 months ago #73223 by kenny-mopar
with NO thermostat the motor will run to cool ... which will cause excessive exh smoke,unburnt fuel..carboning of the internals.. lower oil life ..etc

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #73224 by
All motors, regardless of whether they are petrol or diesel, should operate at between 82

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #73225 by ComTruck
the thermostat housing sits directly on top of the engine. if you have a look at the pic (above), the spring looking part sits inside the head. ill go and get a pic of it now attached to the head.....

Hope this helps!
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by ComTruck.

More
12 years 2 months ago #73226 by ComTruck

the thermostat housing sits directly on top of the engine. if you have a look at the pic (above), the spring looking part sits inside the head. ill go and get a pic of it now attached to the head.....

Hope this helps! also, if i find something that works i will be sure to let you all know!

More
12 years 2 months ago #73227 by JBran

Hope this helps! also, if i find something that works i will be sure to let you all know!

Thanks. The head on mine is a bit different, but I should have a rough idea of where it is.

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds