Skip to main content

Welding Cast Iron

• Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #77702 by
Replied by on topic Re: Welding Cast Iron
I remember to get ring gears off we would heat them up and take it off and then put it in the freezer to shrink it I would think that would be the same as the cast welding. Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #77703 by
Dave

Close but no cigar.

Heating of the ring and cooling is just allowing for the amount of interference.
We would use dry ice to cool down large bearing (up to about 20 inches in diameter) before sliding them into the presses, i think we would shrink them about .005-.006" to the inch and they would rattle in, you only got one shot at it if you didnt get it in properly you would have to cut them in half and start again.

The heating for the welding has all got to do with metalurgy/composition, it is also the same when you weld cast aluminium.

Trevor

• Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #77704 by
Maybe I got it asre about tit mate it was a few years back. :-[ :-[ :-[. Dave

More
12 years 2 months ago #77705 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Welding Cast Iron
Trevor you are right about that dry ice thing we used do that on large pump wear rings and bearing surfaces but you only got the one go at it
Also a lot of cast stuff can be welded with mig processes remember the welders years ago would get a piece of the cast that was to welded hit it on the grinder and by the colour of the sparks would decide what rods to use
Also the other thing that we would do was as the weld cooled was stretch it along the edges with a ball penned hammer to avoid that cracking or shrinkage along the welded edge

More
12 years 2 months ago #77706 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Welding Cast Iron
SloSpeed, OT is alive and kicking and the finishing line is still there and I was planning to fire up the thread once there was some progress to report, hopefully with pictures.
The moderators have calmed down since and put the thread '(Metal Stitching) back but it remains frozen. So at least readers can use it for the great reference of information it contains.

• Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #77707 by
Mammoth

Great to here OT is still making progress on your cylinders cant wait to see the next instalment of pictures.

This is the link to the old thread for anyone that missed it, and it does contain some pretty oresome pictures and handy hints and i for one was enjoying the journey we were being taken on.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1317897418

Trevor

More
12 years 2 months ago #77708 by Les76
Replied by Les76 on topic Re: Welding Cast Iron
yeah we used to place item in lime and it would cool in over a day or two after it was heated and welded. it would slow the cooling down.

Time to create page: 0.453 seconds