Skip to main content

Pwr ast steer for Leyland 3.38n wanted can modify

More
11 years 8 months ago #92768 by leyland
Hi. I'm looking to put a power assisted steering, or if I have to a power steering box On my Leyland 3.38n. Any one got a setup for sale? Or any ideas. Thanks Andrew.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #92769 by nutterphillips
Mine isnt that heavy, but it does have a masive steerin wheel and im not afraid to use it

Ex CFA 338n WF Leyland

More
11 years 7 months ago #92770 by leyland
Thanks Nutter. Doesn't help much, but I hear what your saying. It would be easier to leave it standard. Ive put more than 8000ks on this truck in the last 6 months since I put the Nissan Patrol 4.2 diesel and 5 speed in it. Doing the steering seems the next logical step. I'm just doing some preliminary investigations at the moment. (what a out the brakes I hear some of you yell) they are adequate at the moment. most of he time it's unloaded and when it does have a load, I'm very careful. The brake upgrade will come when the turbo and the camper go on. I'm taking it on a road trip to Kalgoorlie From Bathurst next month. Should be fun. Reasonably confident I've got all the bugs ironed out, we'll see. I was just thinking does that make you the nutter behind the wheel. ;)

11 years 7 months ago #92771 by
g'day leyland .. good to check a couple of things that may help ....including tyre type and air pressures, castor angle, steering box wear and adjustment, king pin and general greasing, steering mast bearing and overall front end alignment...

...above all, no old truck was ever made to haul on the steering wheel at little or no road speed, so a compensation has to be made for that ....

More
11 years 7 months ago #92772 by leyland
That's good advice. It is overdue for a grease now that you mention it. I'll get onto that on my next break. Thanks.

More
11 years 7 months ago #92773 by gorby
don't forget to jack it up before greasing those kingpins and don't be afraid to try some different brands of grease.
our old ab inter was a bit of a pig to steer but by using some sort of red tacky wynns grease,it extended the greasing intervals.( this was thirty five years ago ,maybe all the modern greases are better)

More
11 years 7 months ago #92774 by Battleduck
You might find your steering is better with a load on the back. An empty truck will have a higher proportion of weight over the front axle rather than on the back one, where it's supposed to be.

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds