Skip to main content

C180 CUMMINS START UP

More
11 years 7 months ago #95021 by gilly
C180 CUMMINS START UP was created by gilly
For some months now, we have been working on a C180 motor I retrieved from tassie. Start up was undertaken today, not without incident. I am unable to censor the initial start up, just a little problem censoring the video, as the chief engineer in the picture attempted to scale a 6ft high fence to escape what looked like a Cummins about to get air borne ;D. Funny now, jeez it was a ----moment.
s1044.photobucket.com/albums/b447/GGILCR...current=PICT0023.mp4 .
Chocs, the rest of the story was told to you in confidence 8-)
Gilly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #95022 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
Now Gilly...
You know that I am obligated to report on events that occur within our movement.....
I believe its only too fair to bring these matters to the forefront..
I guess in short......
C'mon....
We need all the details! :D

I'm still giggling..

A LOT! ;D

chocs 8-)

More
11 years 7 months ago #95023 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
I'm with Chocs. ;)

Nice video, all calm an all.

Ya know that one man learns by anuthas mistake. :-/ :D :-/

Now Spill Gill, what be happnin afta this video. :-? :-?

The 4M needs the dirt. ;D ;D

More
11 years 7 months ago #95024 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
Gilly ... I'm holdin' me breath and startin' to go blue in me face!!! Quick!!!

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 7 months ago #95025 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
I think there may have been a bit of that goin on already today Bugly! :D

If only they could see what was happenin through the smoke!!

I have actually now spoken to the Chief Engineer and his account was somewhat more calm than the Apprentice....

The plot thickens..
I am sure there is a totally accurate account somewhere in the mix..

chocs 8-)

More
11 years 7 months ago #95026 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
A couple of little set backs with this engine since it arrived from down under. Several weeks ago, we attempted to light her up, a brand new delco starter fitted, wound her over, massive oil leak from under the aux drive pully, closer inspection found the timing case had a massive crack, probably caused when the motor was lifted from the donor C, aux drive pulley was used as the lifting point :'(. As I had a spare one that came in a box of spares with this motor, it was fitted today, cutting a gasket etc for it. All good, so far, so late this arvo, fuel etc was hooked up, wound the donk over until she built up oil pressure, pulled on the switch to power up the fuel pump solenoid, I stood back & pointed the camera at the subject, gave the command to the chief, CONTACT. A few revolutions, old girl burst into life, BUT, it didnt idle, dont know how many revs she wound up to, & as the sound of the supercharger become louder, Chiek engineer looked for an escape route, as he was bordered by the $60k caravan, & behind him, a 6ft high fence that looked rather confronting at his mere 70plus age. As mentioned, i was in charge of the camera, focus had swung 180 deg as I looked for an escape route through the w/shop in now what was real heavy exhaust smoke, going a--- up over the lawn mower along side the old C :(. The mighty roar suddenly subsided, the 180 coming to a holt. This is where the audio on the camera is somewhat interesting now when played back ::). Suddenly we remembered that this motor was transported on its side from Tassie, & at one stage when shifting this engine on the pallet with the fork, oil was visible in the intake pipe. Once the engine had been stood up, it appeared to drain back into the timing case via the blower, never gave it another thought. Our guess is, she got a little drink when the whistler wound up. I will never laugh at anyone doing a GM start up again, so if you imagine what was said from go to wo, you now understand why I cannot play version 22 movie on this channel :-[.
Gilly

More
11 years 7 months ago #95027 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
love it , sounds like $#it was trumps ;D ;D ;D , i will be the first to ask for a personal copy to be sent to me in the mail . rrrrrrr its all part of the fun ;)

More
11 years 7 months ago #95028 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
Thanks Gilly. ;) If we can't see the video we'll use the imagination ... and jeez it would have been worth watching (from a safe distance!) ;D ;D ;D

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 7 months ago #95029 by 67mustang
Replied by 67mustang on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
Gilly
We best see the full video! be keen to give it a score, hope she done no damage internal, thought I might get u out when I get around to getting mine going, got second thoughts now?????
67mustang

More
11 years 7 months ago #95030 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: C180 CUMMINS START UP
Mustang, I guess we learn from our mistakes, & I can assure you, the next time I fire up a 180, the memory will not be forgotten.(sounded B
good when she settled down, idled at 50psi oil pressure).
We recently fired up a 160 on the stand without incident, & least expected any drama with the 180,as we replicated the check list before ignition. I have another 160 still laying on a pallet that came from Tassie with the 180, damn devils, I may also fire up over the weekend, subject to how interested Bathurst I become, so the check list may now have one or two more boxes to tick before --- CONTACT..
Gilly

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds