Skip to main content

Ford F700 prime mover with trailer

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #141437 by johncat07

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #141438 by
....thanks for the link johncat07 .. but what's that sidevalve doing in there? :-? :-? :-?

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #141439 by johncat07
I think the sidevalves were carried on into the 70's in ford trucks in some countries. But i would of thought a y block would have been period correct.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #141440 by geoffb

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #141441 by Sarge
I don't know the seller, but his neighbour is a mate. The seller had a few of these I think in bits and tray trucks, all were advertised locally a month or so ago, there was a steady stream of tilt trays carting stuff away. He was having his own clearing sale.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #141442 by Hardtopman
Would have been a petrol 6, 300ci??? Dad one of these on the farm was 6 petrol that wore out and was replaced with 351 windsor from a ZC Fairlane. Dash is different but. Would be slow with sidevalve, side valve stopped in mid 50's to be replaced with Y block 272/292
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by Hardtopman.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #141443 by 600Dodge
Slow? Absolutely pathetic I reckon, that is if you could get it out of low/low. A really good side flogger has 95hp without lots of mods, that would have been a Y block for sure, can't imagine why anyone would retro a sidey, better off just leaving it to rot.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #141444 by Rob W
Ford Australia stopped using the side valve engine at the end of '54 but for the US of A it was '53.

Are the photos of the engine bay and the interior the same truck?

I reckon the interior shot is not of a '60s model but possibaly a mid to early '50s.

Dodge AT4-7D Series Model 775, 1971 VH Valiant Ute,

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #141445 by prodrive
Very cool truck though....

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #141446 by gilly
I recall the old man had a 52 -53 ford with the side valve, crab type dizzy, seem to remember they had a bad habit of cracking the block if they got hot. The old Ford was working out the back of Bool Lagoon, & we had to get it back to within 20miles of Mt Gambier. The old fella wa never beat, but this water in the sump problem was a challenge. The welding plant, Lincoln 32v gen coupled to the grey Holden motor, open the throttle to let her work on the Hyd aircraft governor to rev at 3300, was loaded onto the car trailer behind the 53 Cusso Star model ford. Ol George was determined to get this b
home, dropped the sump & removed the R/H head off the sidevalve, opened up the pack of cast iron welding rods, & run a bead of weld straight up the bore. Put the sump & head back on minus the piston in the welded pot, drove her home on 7. To finish the hay season, a secondhand donk he obtained from warrnanbool somewhere, running on gear -oil in the sump to try & keep it going.
That truck was replaced with the Big F 600 with the 272 y block soon after.
Memories!!! Good & bad. ::)
Gilly

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds