Skip to main content

FOR SALE - Is this section worth having?

More
9 years 5 months ago #151367 by Chocs

In light of some of the past comments and the continued drama it seems to cause.....
Perhaps its time for the 'For Sale' section to become a 'Read Only' section or get rid of it all together..

The 'well intended' comments are often seen by many as insults to sellers and their gear.

Maybe a bit of positive action is required with this section of the forum, as opposed to the countless 'bandaid' explanations every time someone forgets their manners.

Just sayin...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
9 years 5 months ago #151368 by
Chocs couldn't agree more.

Hope you have a bit more luck with it than I did back in March this year.

This was item 5 of a letter I sent to the HCVC Committee.

5) Make the for sale section post only with all question having to go back to the seller via email or Personal message thus eliminating the current problems.

Interesting I never did get a response to that letter.

Trevor

• Topic Author
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151369 by
Hi all .. i'm glad this discussion has been raised, as there is a definite ''tiptoe through the minefield'' aspect to this sometimes very passionate section of our forum and i reckon we should be able to navigate our way through it without us getting all heated about it...

.....there may be some kind of written charter for the forum members to subscribe and adhere to, which can assist in facilitating a sale and also possibly lead to a better outcome for the seller when an item has been on the market for quite a while...

....i personally think it is quite wrong to ridicule someone for advertising their vehicle here if the price seems to be excessive...and this ridicule usually occurs within days of the seller posting..

.... i firmly do not believe this to be the case when there has been a considerable amount of time elapsed and the item has remained unsold, and the frustration caused by this situation is also allowed to be carried by any viewer or contributor....hence some commentary should be allowed when a fair amount of time has passed....and long as it is in a constructive manner and not rude or demeaning to the seller...

....oldGMC is having trouble moving his lovely blue truck, and my recent comment was to possibly ''value add'' the sale by offering some signwriting on the doors to the successful purchaser......Thursday's comment of mine was all to do with the state of our economy and not at all to do with bashing a bloke about the asking price of his truck.......otherwise i would've said it was just too bloody dear....full stop!

...when times are like they are, and if it helps sellers to get the best price possible, but the market reacts in a disappointing manner, sometimes... and in any creative way you can think of ...adding value to your firm price has greater benefits than to drop your price begrudgingly.

.....My apologies to d5n700 for any misunderstanding and i sincerely hope that this topic can start some useful dialogue instead of scattering everyone like a flock of startled pigeons as soon as someone ever dares to broach the subject....cheers fellas

More
9 years 5 months ago #151370 by Dodge fan
I see your point Chocs however it appears only a very small minority of forum users see that they need to reply with negative comments about a sellers price. Myself if I think someone is asking too higher price for an item, rather than comment in a negative way, I have enough respect for them to realise it's their property and can ask whatever price they see fit. Just because I may think it's overpriced doesn't mean that someone else will. I wonder if we were all talking face to face would the same comments be made???
Not condeming anyone just putting my two bob's worth in.
8-)Billy

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
9 years 5 months ago #151371 by Lang
I think replies should be allowed because how many times do we see something for sale and somebody comes back with a bit of history, possibly unknown to the seller.

We often see "..........diff broken" and someone will throw in that they have a diff or where to get one.

It regularly starts a discussion of what that vehicle or similar ones did in their past. It keeps the thread popping to the top which can only be good for a sales prospect.

Don't let a few smart-a.. comments upset people. Like they say, any publicity is good publicity, and in all the furore the item keeps being bumped up and a deal might result.

Lang

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151372 by Chocs
Some very relevant points amongst these posts...

From my own personal point of view..
Discussion is healthy, its a forum after all.
Peoples opinions will always differ, we are individuals.
Comments about price or perceived worth should be left to the seller. (This is where the problem always starts.)

We don't get to advise or comment about gear or price in a newspaper or otherwise advertised items, unless we make direct contact with the seller.

What we think its worth is our personal opinion based on our own theories or market analysis.

If someone thinks the price may be excessive, that's fine....
Contact the seller directly through the correct means, should you feel the need to advise them as such, its that simple...

'Billy' 100% there.....
Manners and Respect...Country was built on it.

chocs 8-)

EDIT:
I think the last think anyone wants to hear, particularly the seller....
"Is 'whatshisname' on the Forum reckons.....its ........... ", which could possibly turn away potential victims buyers...

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151373 by jimbo51
The admins & mods are currently discussing this issue but, as will always happen, we won't be able to please everyone with the outcome.

But it is good to see some well reasoned and constructive discussion being offered by most posters, all good thoughts for us to consider.

It is also a good opportunity to reiterate one of Bruce's points from last night....

While some people may choose not to post for sale items on the forum I suspect there are others reluctant to post on ANY topic out of fear of being misunderstood.

Just as it's true that we should give consideration to how we express ourselves in a post I think it's equally true that the reader should also make the time and effort to consider the context and intent of the post before responding. Too often we see people jumping in, firing from the hip, because they have either misunderstood the meaning or choose to interpet the post in a way that proves their worst perceptions of a person or event.

We need to get beyond what seems to be the default position for some, that any comment that isn't glowing adoration is assumed to be negative. That's not the way it needs to work - people can discuss things in a way that questions or suggests alternative views without the desire or intent to belittle someone else or their work. It's called having a mature conversation!

Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by jimbo51.

More
9 years 5 months ago #151374 by Chocs
Thanks Jimbo,
I appreciate your input.
Very wise words indeed.
The ability to assess the situation and comment objectively is what makes for excellent moderation.

Thank you
regards
chocs

Said with an 'All jokes aside, fair dinkum' look on his face. ;)

More
9 years 5 months ago #151375 by kenny-mopar
some comments made are light hearted but yes sometimes taken the wrong way .. when i get offended by some remark i just have a cup of concrete to harden up ;)

More
9 years 5 months ago #151376 by truckit
Hi,

I would like the For Sale to stay, if a person is really interested in the item for sale they should contact the person advertising via PM and not comment on the page.
Also if anyone wants to comment be nice, after all it's for sale at a price, if you really want it bargain with the owner not the forum, general comments are healthy.
Charlie.

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds