Skip to main content

Wanted - 12.00-20 Bar Tread Tyres.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202890 by Adam Godwin
Hello Gentlemen,

I’m looking for 12.00-20 Bar Grip, Non Directional army tyres for my Chev Blitz.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.....
- Adam

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Adam Godwin.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202894 by Morris
I am probably wrong but I think 1200's are far too big for a Blitz. I believe 700's would be the correct size but I only drove them 55 years ago and may be confusing them with the Studebaker 6x6's we also drove.

I do have two almost-as-new 1200-20 bar treads but they are on Thornycroft wheels. The Thornycroft Nubian is a much bigger truck than a Blitz. My Nubians are for sale cheap.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202897 by Adam Godwin
Morris, lovely to hear from you!

I believe those Studebakers wore 7.50 tyres, or at least that’s what most guys are fitting these days.

I’ve read that the Blitzes, with 20” rims, were fitted with 10.5 tyres, originally.

I have two Blitzes, from which I plan to make one good vehicle.
Both have 12.00-20 tyres fitted, and this seems common in my area for Blitzes dragging logs in the bush.

I’m extremely interested in buying your tyres, even if on the Thorneycroft rims!

Where are you located, Morris?

I’m new to the HCVC forum, and not sure if I can send you a private message.

Looking most forward to hearing from you.....
- Adam

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Adam Godwin.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202900 by JOHN.K.
I had 12.00x 20s on my early Ford Blitz....F60 L.........they are OK ,but might need to be balanced for the front if the steering is affected.............my old Ford would do 70 mph with the 12.00s.,and great on the beach with about 15psi in them.....

More
4 years 7 months ago #202918 by Adam Godwin
Hi John,
Thanks for chiming in.

Did you have steering issues with the 12.00-20s?
What sort of issues, and how severe were they?

70mph in a Blitz must be exhilarating!

Did you feel that the increased gearing of the 12.00-20s, significantly impaired the tractability of the truck at slow speeds when tackling steep country or hauling heavy loads?

- Adam

More
4 years 7 months ago #202919 by JOHN.K.
Cant compare Ford and Chev steering........the Ford has a little gemmer type box,and the ratio was too high......Steering wasnt a problem, just had a slight cyclic movement ,definitely not a shimmy............as to rough ground......Blitzes are murder in the rough,better not have a bad back.........mine was the early style cab,rigidly mounted to the chassis,doors had latches on hooks to hold them ,cause they would spring open as the cabin flexed....Ford V8 has a lot more power than the old Blueflame ,6,so you cant compare them.........any of the WW2 Ford trucks on 20s would do 70mph.......on the flat.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202923 by wouldyou
Hello Adam,
Just putting your posts together if the Gardner 4LK is for the Blitz truck no chance of 70MPH.
Cheers, David.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202924 by JOHN.K.
The supply of ex army 12.00s must have dried up......what do the new MAN s have?............Ive bought thousands of them over the years......from 50c each up to $150 each.......same tyres,just supply and demand.......the radials off the unimogs were good value,but sometimes new rag spares would come thru the sales......Most drama I ever saw over the army tyres were the new 11.00x 18s ,sometimes there were fights over them......also bought F111 tyres,some had them on Blitzes.....47.00/18x18.......basically meant you could put them on altered duck wheels.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202931 by Morris
Hello Adam,
I see you have sent a PM through channel 40 but I cannot open it. Might have to pass this on to Gryphon, the forum administrator!

I will try to send you a PM.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds