Skip to main content

One for Jumbo - RFW

More
3 years 9 months ago #212081 by lantana jack
Don’t see them RFW’s come up often...

www.pickles.com.au/trucks/item/-/details...-RFW--EWP/1060026003

The cracked chassis should keep the price down to a ‘collectable’ price..:)

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212092 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic One for Jumbo - RFW
What a 'cracker'.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212096 by lantana jack
Replied by lantana jack on topic One for Jumbo - RFW
I see it has a six cylinder engine. I wonder what? ...a Cat 3208 perhaps ?

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
3 years 9 months ago #212098 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic One for Jumbo - RFW
Jack, I've always thought the 3208 Cat was an 8. All the ones I've operated have been. Could be wrong though, it's been know to happen.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212099 by lantana jack
Replied by lantana jack on topic One for Jumbo - RFW

wee-allis wrote: Jack, I've always thought the 3208 Cat was an 8. All the ones I've operated have been. Could be wrong though, it's been know to happen.

Yep. Brain snap...:pinch: I were thinking at the time of suitable lower Hp power plants that might suite the RFW and were thinking of the 3208 in me Loowy and the 6cyl Detroit in me Titan.....:huh:

More
3 years 9 months ago #212106 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic One for Jumbo - RFW
Worked on lots of Cat 3204s,and Cat also turned out a V6 3206,but cancelled production for poor sales .

More
3 years 9 months ago #212109 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic One for Jumbo - RFW
Apologies for getting off track re original topic, happens quite often here, but at least get to learn a few things!

John.K. Just having a look at the specs for those 3204 engines, been around for a while, I must have been confusing them with the alloy OHC 4 banger turbo engines they fitted to the 613 scrapers early in the piece.
Some even earlier 613's (cable driven) came out with a N/A 6 cylinder with a 5 speed manual, then the alloy OHC turbo 4's with power shift (even some of them retained the cable operation), but would be going back in the sixties I reckon.
Don't know just why, but the alloy OHC 4 banger had a bad name for reliability, and this in a period when Cats name and legend were built on this trait. I guess they had made the odd lemon as well as any other manufacturer,
That V8 scraper engine that had at one time been tried out as a truck engine in the Atkinson used to run around Melbourne comes to mind

More
3 years 9 months ago #212116 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic One for Jumbo - RFW
if anyone wants info about Cats pre 1982 or so ,I have one of the dealer data books listing motors and details of models from about 1936 on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 9 months ago #212127 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic One for Jumbo - RFW
Getting a bit back on track, RFW had a bit of an affinity with Detroits, so it may have a 6V in it.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212708 by rusted
Replied by rusted on topic One for Jumbo - RFW

Dave_64 wrote: Apologies for getting off track re original topic, happens quite often here, but at least get to learn a few things!

John.K. Just having a look at the specs for those 3204 engines, been around for a while, I must have been confusing them with the alloy OHC 4 banger turbo engines they fitted to the 613 scrapers early in the piece.
Some even earlier 613's (cable driven) came out with a N/A 6 cylinder with a 5 speed manual, then the alloy OHC turbo 4's with power shift (even some of them retained the cable operation), but would be going back in the sixties I reckon.
Don't know just why, but the alloy OHC 4 banger had a bad name for reliability, and this in a period when Cats name and legend were built on this trait. I guess they had made the odd lemon as well as any other manufacturer,
That V8 scraper engine that had at one time been tried out as a truck engine in the Atkinson used to run around Melbourne comes to mind

The scraper with the 4 banger (D340T) was a 619, the little 613 used the 3208.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds