Skip to main content

Reo Truck wheels wanted

More
1 year 11 months ago #235161 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Reo Truck wheels wanted
Nice work, I've wanted to see someone do this for a while. Geez, I could use some tyres like that for the Bedford (7.00x20) Do you reckon they'd float to Queensland?

Good to see you on here.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: blastermike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #235164 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Reo Truck wheels wanted
I once took similar type centres (6 stud i think) out of early Dodge wheels the same way. I then cut the 6 stud out of the Dodge centres, and welded in 8 stud i had made to suit a particular job. I then welded the whole thing into 22.5" super single rims. These rims were for off road use, but what i am getting around to is that i machined the new 8 stud plates with a shoulder to locate them nicely in the Dodge wheel centre and welded them in, then machined the outer edge of the Dodge centre true, then spun the whole lot (rim and centre) on a stub axle held in a vice to get them true and concentric to weld up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, blastermike

More
1 year 11 months ago #235166 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Reo Truck wheels wanted
In the wheel factory when fiting naive plates to rims they used some spacers of equal length and sat the naive plate down on a flat level surface and hel it in place with an air clamp. Then using the spacers at the correct length sit the rim over the naive plate and hold it down with a clamp with all the rivet holes lined up. As you will be rivetting they used to weld the naive plate in place on the rotary table. Doing it that way they all end up with the right offset and all the same.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, blastermike

More
1 year 10 months ago #236667 by blastermike
Replied by blastermike on topic Reo Truck wheels wanted
Just an update ive Finally found a full set of 20” x 41/2 rims. For my centers to go back into, cleaned them up and welded the old rivet holes and have just started on setting the new rivets, done two rims today and plan on doing the other ones tommorow, ive also been tackling some of the sheetmetal repairs, the chassis will be next, all 4 crossmembers need to be removed to get out the rust heave, some new steel needs to be welded back in where its too thin, added some pictures hope this is of interest
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, Inter-Action, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, oliver1950, COFFMAN

More
1 year 10 months ago #236687 by cobbadog
Very nice work with the rims so far. It is a fidley job but will be worth it once done. You sure hit the jackpot finding a full set of the rims.
How do you intend to refit the centres? I see you have made a pluig weld through the hole of the naive plate and into the rim base. Anything else ?

More
1 year 10 months ago #236689 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Reo Truck wheels wanted
I reckon that might be a new rivet, not a plug weld.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 10 months ago #236690 by cobbadog
IK just had a closer look and your right, it is a rivet.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #236703 by blastermike
Replied by blastermike on topic Reo Truck wheels wanted
Yeh cobbadog ive re riveted my centers back into donor rims, i bought new rivets and heated them cheery red and bashed them with a hammer while i had a homemade form on the opposite side to keep the button head rivets shape, i also slightly countersunk the holes so the rivets had something to bite into, once i got going it didnt take that long to do just had to cut the rivets to the right length so i wouldn’t have too much grinding once they were set, sorry that picture was not really a good one, added a couple more
Cheers

Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pics..
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120

More
1 year 10 months ago #236704 by cobbadog
Hi Mike, it was more a problem with my eyes not your pics. Nice work on the riveting.

The following user(s) said Thank You: blastermike

More
1 year 10 months ago #236721 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Reo Truck wheels wanted
You've done well Mike

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, blastermike