Skip to main content

information

More
14 years 1 month ago #25500 by doug
information was created by doug
G'day all.
Need to pick some brains here.
Do any of you remember in the early 80's there were some car transporters running the hume highway, they could have been Finenmores but the were definetly painted red.
The truck's i believe could have been a LEYLAND, not sure though.
The cabin sat well forward of the chassis and were that low to the ground that you had to keep your window wound up so the dogs didnt pee on you.
Cant find any reference to them on the net.
Any ideas????

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #25501 by
Replied by on topic Re: information
Doug, The one I remember was a one off custom built by the owner, I think it was built on a bus chassis. He may have been carrying for Arnolds. It had the letters U F O across the front. When I think of custom built I dont usually get images like that one in my head, but I think you would call it that. ...Jeff.

14 years 1 month ago #25502 by
Doug

Read back through the old posts this truck was in a old post about 4-5 months ago.

Trevor

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 1 month ago #25503 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: information

Dug
GuddayM8

Me thinks U R referin to Finemores
they had sum Kenworth L700 /710
lo wide cab jiggr
can remember eye can
see n one @ KW it had a cummins power single drive may B on an underslung rear suspension th@ they grabd off Foden when they took m over
here B a few pix
we can thank Stefan photo album n Seattle62KW's album @ Truck Mad people

me nose they aint no finn truck but tiz the best eye can do
LOL

Clik here for WorkHorse'z TRUCK MAD PEOPLE web site with lotsa pix

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 1 month ago #25504 by busntruck
Replied by busntruck on topic Re: information
There is an 8 wheeler Kenworth like that running around the Hunter Valley for H&M Engineering. ;)

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

More
14 years 1 month ago #25505 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: information
There is a single drive L700 ex Finemore car carrier with a tipper on it running arounf Briso, a council subbie has it, fitted with a L10 Cummins, and has a little sleeper like the old Atkinsons on it.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25506 by doug
Replied by doug on topic Re: information
Been talking to some mates who remember the trucks as well. They were definetly a KW but were not the t700's.
The cab looked similar but was mounted on an extension out the front of the chassis and was extremely close to the ground. The driver sat in his cab like you would a sports car, almost laying down.
Only ever saw they on car transport as their aim i guess was to get an extra car on top.
Infact the top of the cabin would have been about chassis height. They would have been a scary thing to drive as the axles of the trucks overtaking you ould have been at eye height.

14 years 1 month ago #25507 by
Doug, The truck you describe in detail sounds nothing like any KW I've ever seen, the L700's, were a wide, low forward entry cab, similar to a Mack MI or a White Expepitor. Excepting that the UFO had a flat two piece w/screen it was nothing like anything above. The driver sat like you said, in front of the front wheels. The thru deck was above the cab. In the US in the 70's there was a company that built trailers, pans, containers etc. Strick was their name and they developed a truck that was only the length of its cargo space by employing the same method of construction, there was a snippet in T&BT mid/late 70's detailing this truck. I've always beleived that our industrious truckie that built his own car transporter may have got the idea from the unit built by Strick. He used to pull out of PMC Cosgrove Rd Enfield NSW. I saw it many times. Jeff

More
14 years 1 month ago #25508 by truckmad

More
14 years 1 month ago #25509 by doug
Replied by doug on topic Re: information
Thanks truckmad thats the one

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds