Skip to main content

diamond t trucks for sale

More
13 years 3 months ago #44271 by wellsy
SA Stock Journal ad 27/1/010. two 30's era Diamond T trucks for sale. No idea on condition, ad says "for restoration"
$5,500:00 for both. Ph: Brian 0418 844 840
I'm not interested and would be interested on hearing if someone gets them & maybe a photo.
Regards,
Wellsy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #44272 by
Replied by on topic Re: diamond t trucks for sale
Wellsy - Sounds a little "suss"to me. As far as I know, here weren't any Diamond T's imported into Australia in the 1930's.
They were just too expensive to import, and I don't believe there were any Diamond T agents here in the 1930's.
In addition, I'd have to say the Diamond T factory wasn't export-oriented in that era. They could sell all they could make, in the U.S. & Canada.

However, eye do B stand to B kerrected, and all that.

There MAY have been one or two private importations, but I would be very surprised if there were.

I would expect that the seller has probably dated them wrongly (happens in every second advert), and they may be WW2 Diamond T's, which were pretty much the first Diamond T's to arrive in Australia.

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 3 months ago #44273 by atkipete
I think they were here in the 30s, although I havent seen one.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #44274 by
Bit off track ol' onetrack . Several DIAMONDS were imported into Australia during the 30s' .
- SA FIRE BRIGADE had 12 ( I believe ) 1937 pumpers
- remains of 1935 front and engine in my driveway
- front cover of VINTAGE TRUCKS AND COMMERCIALS MAGAZINE , ISSUE 2 - 1937
- Gavin Aitken has a lovely restored 1937 with a rare split windscreen cab here in Victoria
- 1937 model 212 resting in my back yard with a deluxe dash
These are the ones known to me and , I am sure there are more around , Clarke . :)

13 years 3 months ago #44275 by
Highwheeler - Thanks for the correction. I do recall the firetrucks, now that you've jogged my fading memory cells. However, were any of the trucks you mention, imported as commercial tray-type trucks? .. :-/

Cheers - Ron.

13 years 3 months ago #44276 by
Hello Ron , I believe that these Diamonds along with most trucks of that period were imported as drive train , chassis and sheet metal to the front cowl/dash . All cabins and body work were built over here in oz or made to the customers' requirements , cheers Clarke .

More
13 years 3 months ago #44277 by Murray
Just for the record, there are quite a few 1930's Diamond T's in South Oz. One of our major sponsors CMV, was started by Sidney Crawford in 1934 and he had quite good sales of Diamonds in that era.There are a few restorations completed or underway.CMV have an extensive collection of Diamonds based in Adelaide, most of them having been sold new by the company.
Murray

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #44278 by
Excellent info, fellas! I should have done my homework, before I posted!
Newspapers of the 1930's, in every state, have an amazing amount of articles relating to Diamond T trucks and buses in use, or for sale.

I never knew that so many Diamond T's were for sale or in use in that era. What I find strange, is that in all the years I've been around W.A., I have never seen a pre-WW2 Diamond T, in any shape or form.

Not a wreck, not a runner, not one hidden in any shed, and not a restored one. I've either found or seen 100 other makes, but nary a Diamond T.

trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=Diam...ity=y&l-australian=y

From the Adelaide Advertiser, 22nd May 1936 ..

"It is worthy of note that although nearly 200 Diamond T trucks in two years have been put on S.A. roads, no engine has yet required an overhaul, although several have exceeded 100,000 miles, and in not one single instance has a Diamond T engine valve, gear wheel, or crown or pinion, been replaced."

13 years 3 months ago #44279 by
Ha! Ha! - I just love these old newspaper ads and articles .. from the Adelaide Advertiser again, 24th June, 1936 .. :D

"GOOD NEWS TO CHRONIC OVERLOADERS

If you are afflicted with the over-loading germ, you will be glad that the Diamond T Company has particularly catered for such a need, by supplying an
oversize, germ-proof model in trucks, which will carry heavier loads than the standard models, and do some higher sustained speeds through hilly country.

Full details can be obtained by writing Commercial Motor Vehicles Ltd., 64 Flinders Street."
;D ;D

More
13 years 3 months ago #44280 by atkipete
I dont think they were Diamond T engines,maybe Continental or Hercules with Diamond T cast on the exhaust manifold. But i do stand ....etc etc

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds