Skip to main content

Wanted-Starter motor for a 4.4 litre leyland V8

More
12 years 2 months ago #75321 by ABCJOHN
Hey Scratcha,

You're in luck too!

I have 1 new original Lucas starter left and one that had been checked/serviced by the local auto elec and another with no solenoid and one of the two mount hole lugs broken. ie needs a nose housing. I have a new nose in my stock but no solenoid.

My limited knowledge on 4.4's was the Terrier produced more power than the P76 apparently due to camshaft and had a steel crankshaft which we used to have a heap of new. Perhaps P76 was forged?? as people used to buy Terriers because they were stronger. (than what i don't know)
Aussie Terriers differed to the UK in that they all came here (circa 1975-82) with no engine and were locally fitted at the reassembly plant at Enfield, Sydney with either 4.4 V8 or Perkins 6.247 (Mazda made) both sourced locally. All UK Terriers were 4 or 6 cylinder Leyland /BMC 4/98 and 6/98 engined.

I agree they must have made heaps more V8's than trucks because we also had a load of them.

Can call me on 94763544 BH or send an email to abcdiesels@bigpond.com

John @ ABC Diesels

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #75322 by MBTRAC
Hi My recollection of the Terriier 4.4 is a lot of the hang on bits were unique & not directly interchangeable with the P76 4.4 - for advice on your starter & possibly rebuild bit's/replacement try Mini King at Narellan NSW John the guy who runs it is a wealth of knowledge on P76's ( & bought heaps of obsolete Terrier 4.4's from Leyland Australia & I woudln't mind bettering he's still go a parts catalogue for the 4.4 Terrier ) & should be able to point you in the right direction if it's obtainable.
There were also a heap of 4.4 Terrier School Buses sold to South Australia, so you may fluke a starter in an old wrecking yard there ( if there is any left )
Hope this helps.

By way of background, as this is my first post-

I used to work for JRA to its demise (morphed from Leyland Australia ) in Parts during the 80's during the death throes of Leyland Truck & Bus in Australia - I still remember selling c.100x complete new Terrier 4.4 V8's for basically scrap value & also sourcing parts for the "interesting" stuff still being used back then from Qld AEC railmotors, Thornycroft Nubians, Army Scammell Contractors & to stuff from SCG ( Self Changing Gear).

More
12 years 2 months ago #75323 by kenny-mopar
welcome MBtrac .. wish you still could get leyland parts new ! .. im restoring a couple of V8 leylands at the moment

More
12 years 2 months ago #75324 by scratcha
Thanks John, I will give you a ring, working night shift at the moment.
The hint about the inter starter is a goodun, just the auto elec is a young bloke and busy as buggery, might have to chase it up myself.

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
12 years 2 months ago #75325 by PeterE
So Gents - are the Terrier V8's any good in a working truck (say up to 8 tonne)? I know where one is (out of a bus) that I was only interested in because I recognised it as a P76 motor - My old man had a V8 P76 - brilliant car but cursed with many small failures (death by a thousand cuts!) If they were any good I would gladly repower my Inter just to get fuel-economy!
Peter

Peter&&Narrogin WA&&AT4 229

More
12 years 2 months ago #75326 by kenny-mopar
any petrol motor in a truck is going to use a lot of juice . . but the P-nut (P76) motors do offer a lot of low down torque and being a alloy motor you would have a higher payload lol

More
11 years 10 months ago #75327 by stevew
These guys make them
www.enginecentre.com.au/starters-leyland.html

I stumbled upon them a while ago - better than original and a perfect fit. Brand new item $300

More
11 years 10 months ago #75328 by stevew
also

www.roverparts.com.au

have bits for an engine rebuild

I had trouble finding this stuff, so thought I'd share.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #75329 by Eddy

any petrol motor in a truck is going to use a lot of juice . . but the P-nut (P76) motors do offer a lot of low down torque and being a alloy motor you would have a higher payload lol

12 - 14 MPG in my Terrier @ 90 - 95 kph ... down to about 9 - 10 @ 110 kph 8-)

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Eddy.

More
11 years 10 months ago #75330 by mammoth
better fuel consumption than my 4 ton Dyna (which will only hold 110 either down hill or up the ar@e of a bdouble), If you were closer Eddy the Terrier would have a home here.

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds