Skip to main content

Old truck photos

More
14 years 9 months ago #11157 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Old truck photos
These next trucks were owned by Alan Hancock from Leichardt in Sydney. Al Richo drove for him as a 19 year old for a while and was good mates with him. I was amazed when I saw these photos as my Dad and Uncle also knew Alan Hancock very well and I had heard about him but never seen his trucks and I have a major soft spot for the early Diamonds of this vintage. My Dad teared up when he saw these shots. Alan was killed in a truck accident in the late 60's.

Alan owned these two Diamond T's. The 634 was a petrol and the piggybacked 630 was repowered with a 6/53 GM. Al Richo drove the petrol truck for a while and I believe that the guy from Bribie Island with the Oppermans 630 (sorry, name escpes me) drove the 630 with the jimmy. I spoke to Alan Hancocks widow for the first time about 6 months ago and she told me that the fella who restored the Oppermans truck had contacted her when he was rebuilding it as he wanted to paint it in Alan colours but she didn't want it done which is a shame. At least he had the decency to ask :). Alan was driving the 630 when he was killed.

Alan also owned this White 3000, first painted grey then resprayed red. He carted for Lever Brothers (now Unilever) hence the LUX packet on the doors. This also had a 6/53 GM. Gotta love the drums six high and three wide. Imagine getting the spares up there!

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #11158 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old truck photos
G'Day CS.

Great pics.
I have never seen that model of White.
Yes lets see more.

Cheers :)

14 years 9 months ago #11159 by
The bloke from Bribie Island is George Gould and i have just posted some photos of another Gould Classic restoration in "Diamonds 4 ever".

George and my Dad have been good friends since they drove interstate together.

More
14 years 9 months ago #11160 by Cunning Stunt

The bloke from Bribie Island is George Gould and i have just posted some photos of another Gould Classic restoration in "Diamonds 4 ever".

George and my Dad have been good friends since they drove interstate together.

I just saw your post on the other Diamond thread and realised the connection. George is the name I was given, I spoke with him some years ago when I owned (very briefly) a 634 that was rusted out. I would love to verify the story, I'm sure that is who Alans widow spoke about.

Some play hard to get

14 years 9 months ago #11161 by
Have just helped Dad get onto this site in the last couple of days he is looking at it but i dont know about him posting on it yet.
I will keep teaching him as he has some great old stories from the old days and some great pictures i will try and post.
Dad is on this site as "TheBull"

More
14 years 9 months ago #11162 by Cunning Stunt
There are a heap of photos of his Commer and by all accounts, who would blame him for taking so many photos of such a fine piece of machinery!!! ::)

I selected a few to show some of the different things he did with the truck. Check out the old Diamond crane truck setup.

Al was contracted by A Pittman to move the trams and would do it in tandem with their Federal. Pittmans currently operate a fairly large transport operation in Sydney with bulk pressure tankers.

Some play hard to get

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 9 months ago #11163 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Old truck photos

Stunning
GuddayM8

Stihl Gr8 pix
Keep m Cummin

Jist luv the mirrors!

No wunder they were able to get so much dun way back when

with mirrors like th@, U're better off not know n wot'z goin on way back there!

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 9 months ago #11164 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Old truck photos
gotta love that comer 2 stroke all 3.4litres? capacity pulling a tram

More
14 years 9 months ago #11165 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Old truck photos
Great photos Bruce, keep them coming

More
14 years 9 months ago #11166 by Cunning Stunt
Als next purchase was this WC22 White Mustang. He bought it new and as he told me, it was the very last 'Needle Nose' that was sold out here according to the dealer. He bought it in 1962 and also bought the new McGrath bogie trailer with it. I love this truck and the beautiful presentation.

This photo shows the truck at McGraths having the turn table and trailer fitted. Note the trade plate, not yet registered.

This is the White on its very first load, leaving Mount Druitt in Sydney. I'm surprised that half the load hasn't been stolen considering its location!

One of many photos showing the White with an oversize load.

Again a lot of photos on this trip up the dirt road. He kept having to wait while the photographer was running up the hill to take the action shots, possibly the driver of the red one.

Some play hard to get

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds