Skip to main content

Knockers on the brain, for the Commer enthusiast

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124286 by binder

Nope. The first Perks fitted were in the bullnose cab, canted over to the right and were 6354's.
Tiny steering wheel, no power steer, vacuum "Hydrovac" brakes, same gearbox as the old TS3's.
I think Rootes hated fitting that engine but they went really well.
The one at the back was brand new Perkins powered back in the day.

the main visual difference between a p6 and a 6354
was the inline pump and alloy rocker cover

6354 was not produced till 1960 rotary pump and tin rocker cover
I maintained a commer for a subbie for binns transport
running syd -adelaide in the mid 60,s p6 powered
and it was a old truck then!2 piece windscreen[pushout]
from memory 55-57 a lot earlier than the rear one in the pic which may have had a 6354

this cab
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by bigcam.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124287 by jeffo
Are you sure she wasn't a re-powered petrol?
It's going back a long way but I was told that photo was of the first 6354 Commer model. It was bought at the same time as Dad's TS3 in front.
Think their cab was raised a little on pipe spacers to help with clearance.
The owner fitted step rings, he couldn't make the "big" step.
Yes it had the DPA pump.
P6's were getting old even then. Local garage bought one for a re-power and it's probably still sitting there as nobody wanted a P6 once the 6354 was released.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124288 by Mrsmackpaul
binder after reading your post I thought my memory must getting worse than I remember I thought the P6 and 6354 looked totally different so I jumped on google and had a look I will let you be the judge

P6

either way waiting for part 3 of story :)
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124289 by binder
paul yes theres many differences I was simply pointing out the obvious ones at first glace
jeff as far as I no it was a factory fit . over the years ive run across a few more and they reminded me of that old bugger doin 1 a week to s.a in that thing pullin a36 ft strap trailer with a hammock under the rails as a sleeper!!!
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by binder.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124290 by Mrsmackpaul
yeah first one to spring to mind ones easy to start and one also makes heaps more power and a lot less smoke I guess the P6 wasnt to bad for its day hang on what am I thinking it was a useless piece of snot that couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding just my opinion though so am proberly wrong :)
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 8 months ago #124291 by binder
paul re p6 your on the money bloke
the original hill detector!!!

More
10 years 8 months ago #124292 by Kav
I think that somewhere along the time line there were R6 Perkins fitted to Bonneted Commers and the International trucks of the day. I am not sure about the cab-overs. There was also an S6 which was bigger than a 6-354 but it was low revs (2000 I think flat out - more for tractor use) but I dont think it took on as the Pink and Purple 6-354 Motors took over. Kav

More
10 years 8 months ago #124293 by kenny-mopar
Been a while since ive peddled a perkins (i worked out a pushbike is faster) but wasnt the P6 a faster or quicker revver ?

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124294 by Cunning Stunt
Great story CT, I'm closer to it than you think, he told me that a bloke from Tassie was interested in it...............I have a few pics of it that I'll put up.

As far as the Perkins power goes, I'm not sure of whether or not they were P6 or 6354 but I was always under the impression it was the latter. Like jeffo said they were laid over almost horizontal and were only available from factory in the small cab single screen model in 61/62, not the split windscreen version like mine. They were distinguished with a plain 'Diesel' badge as opposed to the 'Rootes Diesel' for the knocker or nothing for the petrol.

I'll check on some books at home for curiosity and you might be right binder, it may be a P6. For what its worth the red one (my Dads) in the photo you put up is a petrol R7 from 1950.

I'll dig out some pics from the West Wyalong collection, well done CT for finding it, it was the best unrestored example of one I have ever seen. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Some play hard to get
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Cunning Stunt.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124295 by indianman
G'day I know that perkins made flat 6354s for some bus use but I don't think they ever made a factory P6 flat IDSTBCT.

Jon

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds