Skip to main content

Knockers on the brain, for the Commer enthusiast

More
10 years 8 months ago #124306 by fageol100
The sloper Perkins engine fitted to the last of the small cab COE Commers was neither a P6 nor a 6.354, it was a slant version of the 6.305, which I think was a slightly larger and updated version of the P6. Rootes referred to this engine as the C305. As far as I know, but I stand to be corrected, the last P6s were known as the 6.288 and like the 6.305 had a CAV rotary injection pump.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124307 by JBran
They both look in top shape!! Any of those old beasts with no rust is worth snapping up at first chance!! Can't wait until I get sucked into Commer restoration to get a cab over of some form!! Might have a petrol one lined up now..!! :D

More
10 years 8 months ago #124308 by classic truckin
PART 3:

Our eyes were like saucers :D

Forget the Holy cup, to Dad and I a truck like this hidden away since the 1970's..... This was the Holy Grail 8-) 8-) 8-)

There was no way of actually walking to the truck, you couldn't even climb on anything, stuff was piled on top of other stuff and it would all collapse.
The only way I could get to it to phyically have a look was climb around the wall of the shed and over to the cab - you can see where I rubbed some dust off the windscreen to peer in, I couldn't even open a door.

Ironically the shed that had been on the back when the truck was backed in all those decades ago had been unloaded and used leaving this time capsule behind.
There could be no real inspection, no test drive possible or picking at faults.
This truck had been shedded not long out of it's prime and we wanted it!
The old fella had told us and probably many others before that it was forsale but any negotiating was near impossible to initiate. I think it was very much a blast back to his past for him, as accidental as it may have been. It was one of the few things left that represented where he had come from and we were lucky enough to have some stories shared.
On the dirt down to Melbourne to collect fuel in 44 gallon drums twice a week, or a long freight run trying to sleep in the cab or on the load. He reckoned the roads would get that bad they would shake your teeth out, that may well be true because he didn't have many left ;)

We ended up staying at the pub there that night so that he could sleep on it. It took much reassurence that it would be going to a much loved home and eventually we struck a deal 8-)

As I (and my Dad more so) historically seem to undertake fairly daring tasks at times especially when it comes to recoveries we decided we should drive it home.
If it was driven in, it should drive right out again....right ;)

So a plan was hatched: We would head home, get some work out of the way, get a list together of what gear we would require and come back in a month or so.....

To be continued.

If time and money were plentiful

More
10 years 8 months ago #124309 by classic truckin

If time and money were plentiful

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124310 by JBran
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but would I be correct in saying this was a later, or one of the last models of this body because the Commer badge on the front is big, and it has the chrome strip across the front of the cab, at badge level. As well as the grille/lights. QX possibly?? Or as this site tells me ( www.commer.org.nz/Commer_Connections/C_7.html ), a MK 4 C series. :)
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by JBran.

More
10 years 8 months ago #124311 by Cunning Stunt
Yeah JB, it's about a 62 model. The old fella had screwed the badge to the grill but its the same badge as mine runs, all the other moulds etc are standard.

Those memories are flooding back CT, unfortunately my photobucket account has had a failure, I have a few pics to add. Keep em coming :) :) :) :)

Some play hard to get

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds