Skip to main content

old chev truck

More
10 years 7 months ago #127407 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: old chev truck
Archy, there were plenty of little trucks on singles that went up to 2 ton.... it may well have the capacity on the makers plate... I guess it may have had a 10 foot tray... which I would have thought meant 3 or 4 ton.... The experts will pop up sometime and tell us all...

Where are you travelling to and from???

keep the pics coming and good luck

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127408 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: old chev truck
For what its worth, I'm with you on the weight Col.
2 1/2 Tonne, at the minimum..

You may find the 'working' weights on the drivers side somewhere,perhaps hand written on the chassis or the fuel tank.
20 cwt to the tonne (roughly)

Will want to be a fairly reasonable 'car' trailer..

Good luck with the purchase and pickup.

chocs 8-)

More
10 years 7 months ago #127409 by archy
Replied by archy on topic Re: old chev truck
Travelling from Adelaide to Peterborough and back ,about 400k round trip

More
10 years 7 months ago #127410 by dodgemetal
Replied by dodgemetal on topic Re: old chev truck
Just dont let the cops cya lol. I've used a f250 to pull 3 1/2 ton round plenty times and if you dont have breaks on trailer your going to have fun, 90% of car trailers are rated for 2ton atm, your probably going to have 3ton or more atm.
cheers skippy.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127411 by archy
Replied by archy on topic Re: old chev truck
The trailer has brakes, just does not have break away brakes

More
10 years 7 months ago #127412 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: old chev truck

The trailer has brakes, just does not have break away brakes

... and that's why lots of car trailers are rated only at 2t ATM. Above that they need a breakaway braking system and brakes operating on more than one axle. ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 7 months ago #127413 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: old chev truck
you will be right archy just poke along enjoy the scenery and remember most older trailers dont have any load rating at all seeya
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127414 by ugg
Replied by ugg on topic Re: old chev truck
My 2 cents.
Trailered my "new" dodge d5n 200 from the riverland to Adelaide on car trailer behind an F250 (mid 70's model.) Didn't miss a beat. Chassis from memory was 2 tonne ish.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by ugg.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127415 by dodgemetal
Replied by dodgemetal on topic Re: old chev truck
yeh sry, wasnt saying you can't do it, just that it wouldn't be legal. lots of people do it lol, long as you know and u drive to the fact of what u been told.
mrsmackpaul, dosn't matter if the trailer dosent have a load rating, however to get one registered it would have to have rating as required by law, and as bugly said, over 2t atm trailer has to have breakaway breaks ect. I can true fully say i've moved cars incorrectly but always new the risks and laws associated with doing it, and one of the reasons i bought my little truck was to stop doing so.
Not trying to have an argument with anyone, I just like people to know as i've been told the wrong thing in the past and have been pinged for most things u can be lol.

cheers skippy

More
10 years 7 months ago #127416 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: old chev truck

yeh sry, wasnt saying you can't do it, just that it wouldn't be legal. lots of people do it lol, long as you know and u drive to the fact of what u been told.
mrsmackpaul, dosn't matter if the trailer dosent have a load rating, however to get one registered it would have to have rating as required by law, and as bugly said, over 2t atm trailer has to have breakaway breaks ect. I can true fully say i've moved cars incorrectly but always new the risks and laws associated with doing it, and one of the reasons i bought my little truck was to stop doing so.
Not trying to have an argument with anyone, I just like people to know as i've been told the wrong thing in the past and have been pinged for most things u can be lol.

cheers skippy

what about if the trailer still has the original plates on it out of the 70's but always stayed rego and didnt have a load rating would it still be illegal ? I wouldnt have thought you couldnt over load something with out a load limit but am proberbly completely wrong and just relying on wishful thinking seeya
Paul

and I am also taking this off topic but curious not wanting a blue with anyone sorry in advance

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds