Skip to main content

your old working truck....

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 6 months ago #130355 by Swishy
Guys
the original inventors designed n made stuff big n heavy to last for ever

engineers came along to use the same inventions n trimmed the fat off n make m more compact

the latest engineers redesigned it all so the life expectancy lasted a few weeks just out of warranty

fitting computers to think for us has made my computer Between the ears redundant

A cupla pix of Classic Truckn JD

Noice lookn JD Wingy

Cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #130356 by Southbound
Interesting topic this, I was looking at Murranji's R7?? resto project and am impressed at the size of the job and the new truck that he will end up with. So how does this route compare with signing on the dotted line? Clearly you need to have skills, time, money, an understanding wifey and some serious determination! Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
10 years 6 months ago #130357 by knighty
tective, good topic, must be lotsa ole rigs still goin" swishys always look so good still worki'n hard... our ole girl dosen't work as hard but i can still keep it goi'n cause it's simple and mostly easy to jump under it with a 9/16 th spanner and fix it...
[IMG

.....jk...

Lotsa Big Toys

More
10 years 6 months ago #130358 by dieseldog
Hey Swishy, what model Johnny is that? Is that the Deere 955 V8 I can see?

• Topic Author
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #130359 by
Replied by on topic Re: your old working truck....
...had a most wonderful gentleman drop in today by the name of Paddy Ward from Orange in NSW...

...he is the first and still original owner of the magnificent V12 Detroit W Model 1974 Kenworth restored by him a few years back with both man and machine still quite capable of a decent days work if and when required 8-) 8-) 8-)

...Paddy told the story of when as a kid on a pushbike he asked the driver of Mortons big 335 cabover Kenny if he could have a ride....the bloke dropped him off about six blocks away and he walked back to his pushbike as happy as Larry 8-) 8-) 8-)

...little did Paddy know what was in store a few years down the track...let alone all these years later.......

More
10 years 6 months ago #130360 by oldfulla
This topic reminds me of a time as a young green horn. An old (he was then - and only just had his driving brief taken off him when he turned 85 - just a couple of years ago) came wandering thru our new truck display (front of the Dealership).

These were a line up of just released ACCO B's. One - bogie drive with a 10m tip body on it.

Anyway - as old Alex walked in from his parked 'short door' ACCO - I said: "You need one of these new jiggers - like all your subbies are buying".

He stood back and slowly looked over this new truck - and said: "same number of wheels, same size body - why would I spend money and just get what I already own".

And too my 'subbie' quip - he retorted: If I'm paying them enough money so as they can afford to buy new trucks - then thats a very good sign that I'm making some too". And off he went to the Spare Parts counter.

Eventually he got the 2 stroke desease - and bought a few old Whites with V Series GM's. And worked them every day until he turned 85.

He passed away about 12 months ago - no doubt a very wealthy man, to which money meant nort when it came to spending it on himself.

But I clearly recall the lessen he tought me all those years ago. Big, new and flash aint necessarly better.

Oldfulla

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds