Skip to main content

Can someone please tell me what model bedford this

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #133290 by Beaver
There was a model below the 30 cwt, but I can't recall if it was 15 or 20 cwt.

I won't have access to the brochures until end of next week.

i think the D was a short-lived model (about 18 months) with J upgraded mechanicals in the A body.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Beaver.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133291 by cemeNTepede
This is an A2 (30 cwt).
I learned to drive crash boxes on one of these at age 13 while delivering milk
door to door.
This is a particularly well preserved example.Been well looked after over
it's lifetime by the looks.Don't let this one get away.It needs some hubcaps but little else to bring it back to factory spec.

According to a Bedford Series chart I have........
"A"s were produced from 1953-56.(After 1954 parking lamps on top of mudguard,
as this one is).
"D"s 1957-58. In my experience Ds were a facelifted A with a chrome embelished
grille,recessed headlights and a different bumper (still with the park lights on top of the guards) but mechanically similar.
But several "D"s have appeared on this forum of recent times with what I would deem to be an "A" front panel.....but their ID plate quite clearly states D type.
"J" 1959 on.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
10 years 4 months ago #133292 by Blugreen
Hi cemeNTepede.

Does that chart of yours give at are weight for the A2?

Thanks.

M

More
10 years 4 months ago #133293 by oldfulla
I just found a photo of our family runabout - and seems my memeory wasnt as good as I thought.

I'm pretty sure it was bought new in 1956 so may have been on that change over. I remember the date because we went on a family holiday to Melbourne for the what ever Games that were on that year - and were in Sydney (either going or coming back) for when TV was first switched on. Both events occured in 1956.

Not to many people could say they rode in the tray of a little Bedford lorry - from Central QLD to Melbourne and back!!. Mum, Dad a 4 kids couldnt all fit in the front seat. For safe communication between the cab and the tray - we had a piece of 1/2" plastic hose with a small plastic funnel jamed in either end as a mic & ear phone. Worked a treat - 'over'.

It was definatly rated at 15Cwt.

The rear view mirrow was mounted on the whindscrrn frame (not the door as I prev said) - in the same place as the one in the photo at the top of this topic).

Now - I also said it had 'flat disc' wheels - same as in the above photo. Now - I'm not so sure about that - because it always had 'hub caps' on it.

Rufus - did the 'flat disc' wheels still have/take hub caps?

And - does the A1/A2 - D1/D2 (if I've got that right - mean the diff between the 15Cwt and the 30Cwt - IE the 1 = smaller truck - and the 2 being the bigger 30Cwt?

For what all thats worth.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 4 months ago #133294 by Blugreen
Got some more info on it.

its tare weight is 2140kgs.

Measurement from outside of wheel to outside of wheels is 190cm.

M

More
10 years 4 months ago #133295 by fageol100
It's an A2 model Bluegreen-there was no A1.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133296 by mammoth
Cement'N According to the bedford book only the heavier D's had chrome embellishments on a modified grille which would account for the confusion.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #133297 by Beaver
D4:

D1:

Question: There are "grills" in the upper bumper section just under the lights. R/H side has an opening behind the mesh, l/h side doesn't. Any suggestions why? Perhaps provison for an optional heater?

This must have been one of the last D1s sold here. The NSWFB ordered 6x "30 cwt Bedfords" and got this and 5x J1s. 8-)

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Beaver.

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds