Skip to main content

Trying to pull down a CAV starter

More
10 years 1 month ago #140090 by wedgetail84
Trying to pull the CAV starter on my perkins apart. Truck decided to drive itself out of the shed last night, thank gad I had the full shut off out...

Anyway, does anyone have any tips? I've pulled the long bolts out and the C clip under the cap in the middle, and separated the case sections about 3mm and it won't go any further. Can I use more (a lot) of force? What could be holding it together? Unless there's more fastening I'm thinking something bearing related?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 1 month ago #140091 by
Have you pulled the brushes out of the brush holder?

More
10 years 1 month ago #140092 by wedgetail84
No. That part of the cover is staying put. Guess I should pull them out then (somehow)!

10 years 1 month ago #140093 by
I wouldn't have a clue I have never pulled one apart

More
10 years 1 month ago #140094 by dieseldog
Sounds like it is just the solenoid sticking. Easy to remove, just the two bolts on the side and the copper link from the solenoid to the motor itself. Just give it a wiggle and it should pop out of the fork that throws the gear in and out.

Your probably better of replacing it, they're cheap enough and more reliable than trying to clean the contacts up.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140095 by dieseldog
There shouldn't be anything holding it together, usually just a good tap should separate the sections.

If you want to give the motor a tidy up, the best way I find to take them apart is lock the flange in a vice, remove the brush holder/end cap and pull the case off the armature. Next I remove the clip holding the overrun clutch, and slide the armature out. Pull out the clutch and your done.

Check the bushes for wear, if they're ok just wipe them with a rag and re-oil them. The best way to do this is hold a finger over one end, fill it with engine oil and squeeze the end with your thumb. This will force oil into the pores of the bush. Wipe away the excess oil and your done. If the bushes need replacing, you can still buy them new in a kit and its easy enough to knock the old ones out and tap the new ones in.

Give the commutator a polish with some fine wet and dry and clean it with metho. Put it all back together as it came apart, with a smear of grease on the clutch splines and fork. You can replace the brushes, just drill out the rivet and replace with bolts, taking note of any insulating washers. When you put the brush holder back on, simply sit it on the shaft, and using a long thin screw driver push the brush back and tilt the holder down on that side. Repeat with the other three and tap it home. Refit the long bolts and the solenoid link and your done. Just make sure you test it before you put it back on.

Hope that helps....
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by dieseldog.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140096 by overnite

There shouldn't be anything holding it together, usually just a good tap should separate the sections.

If you want to give the motor a tidy up, the best way I find to take them apart is lock the flange in a vice, remove the brush holder/end cap and pull the case off the armature. Next I remove the clip holding the overrun clutch, and slide the armature out. Pull out the clutch and your done.

Check the bushes for wear, if they're ok just wipe them with a rag and re-oil them. The best way to do this is hold a finger over one end, fill it with engine oil and squeeze the end with your thumb. This will force oil into the pores of the bush. Wipe away the excess oil and your done. If the bushes need replacing, you can still buy them new in a kit and its easy enough to knock the old ones out and tap the new ones in.

Give the commutator a polish with some fine sandpaper and clean it with metho. Put it all back together as it came apart, with a smear of grease on the clutch splines and fork. You can replace the brushes, just drill out the rivet and replace with bolts, taking note of any insulating washers. When you put the brush holder back on, simply sit it on the shaft, and using a long thin screw driver push the brush back and tilt the holder down on that side. Repeat with the other three and tap it home. Refit the long bolts and the solenoid link and your done. Just make sure you test it before you put it back on.

Hope that helps....

I suppose you mean emery paper or wet and dry. Never sandpaper.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140097 by dieseldog
Ahh yes, a poor choice of words. I'll amend that, Wet and dry works for me. If you have access to lathe, use that. It what's recommended in the service manual.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by dieseldog.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140098 by silver1925
If the CAV starter motor is a CA45, then pulling it down, repairing it and putting it back together can be very difficult let alone stressful. On a CA45 the solenoid is inside the starter, (Not mounted externally) and is quite tricky to set up as there are a number of ball bearings that control the pinion and solenoid movement. I'm an auto electrician although I haven't been on the tools for years, but every time I saw one of them come in the door I'd break into a cold sweat. I'd suggest having someone who knows what they're doing have a look at it or look to buy a retro fit replacement. Hope this helps.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140099 by indianman
G'day Wedgie were you anywhere near it when it decided to go for a stroll?? If not then I would be checking the ignition switch and wiring for a fault as the solenoid wont pull in by itself without power to the small push on terminal.

Jon

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds