Skip to main content

Trying to pull down a CAV starter

More
10 years 1 month ago #140100 by wedgetail84

If the CAV starter motor is a CA45, then pulling it down, repairing it and putting it back together can be very difficult let alone stressful. On a CA45 the solenoid is inside the starter, (Not mounted externally) and is quite tricky to set up as there are a number of ball bearings that control the pinion and solenoid movement. I'm an auto electrician although I haven't been on the tools for years, but every time I saw one of them come in the door I'd break into a cold sweat. I'd suggest having someone who knows what they're doing have a look at it or look to buy a retro fit replacement. Hope this helps.

That is the very one... Glad it's not just me then, but sounds ominous. Is there a manual? I can get a new OEX one from Ashdowns for $250, now thinking this is attractive. So how Do you pull remove the case halves? Is it really not worth looking at myself? I can't see how getting an auto elec. to look at it will be cost effective vs a new one

G'day Wedgie were you anywhere near it when it decided to go for a stroll?? If not then I would be checking the ignition switch and wiring for a fault as the solenoid wont pull in by itself without power to the small push on terminal.

Jon

no, I found it a few days later. Others saw it outside the shed but thought I was working on it... I have to admit it kind of teaches me a lesson. Occasionally (normally when hot, like after bleeding) it would stick on - I'd have to sprint round and disconnect the battery. Normally reattaching would result in it being normal. But once it kept going every time I reconnected. Then I tried bypassing the starter switch and even with nothing else connected, just +ve on the starter it would go. So it's internal.

Regardless, it's now pretty sluggish after going for its drive (although this could be because I'd removed the battery and was going straight off jumper leads) so I wanted to check everything was OK in there and possibly do bearings/bushes/see if it was rooted or not.

I still want to pull it apart and will face the challenge of putting it back together but will bear in mind what a new one costs

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140101 by dieseldog

More
10 years 1 month ago #140102 by wedgetail84

Here's a manual for it...

www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/injection/CA45.htm

Thanks that should get me going

More
10 years 1 month ago #140103 by rex
The advice from Silver 1925 is the right way to go. Purchase a replacement Starter of a more basic type with the solenoid mounted on the side of the main housing. I can remember far too many painful hours as a result of owing 6.354 Perkins fitted with CA45 starters. Not only are the unreliable and expensive to fix but above all else use an excessive amount of current when under full load.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #140104 by wouldyou
Getting a replacement is the way to go, better than fixing that CAV one, a spacer of the right thickness to go between new starter and where it mounts may be needed. David.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by wouldyou.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140105 by Colin
wedgetail84 I had a Bedford 466 diesel that tried to start in the middle of the night and luckily I also had the stop pulled out. It was a motor home and I was sleeping in it when it moved off with the starter. It wasn't the starter motor, it was the key switch had come to pieces inside, and made contact with the starter solenoid wire.
I was pleased because a new switch only cost less than $30-00 and a CAV starter is a buggar to strip down.
Colin

More
10 years 1 month ago #140106 by wedgetail84
Wow not much love for the old CA45... I bet you got a bit of a fright Colin, did you think you were being robbed? Sadly mine's right in the starter.

So I've pulled it down, the manual is a must. Wasn't too bad otherwise, and frustratingly I can't find much wrong with the solenoid. Luckily nothing looks burnt, but I can't see what would cause the solenoid to either stick on (plates don't look like they've been welding), nothing looks like it's arcing. The only possible thing I can think of is the cotton insulation on the internal solenoid terminal wire had a couple of sizable holes in it. But I couldn't see any sign of contact on the wires.

But I've hit the area with brake cleaner and slathered it in paint-on-electrical tape. Talking to an auto elec today (who shares the general sentiment about CA45s) who reckons firstly get rid of the little balls (reckons later ones did away with them anyway), and sticking is normally low voltage or welding plates. Thing is I reckon the battery was always pretty healthy, it certainly kicked the motor over at a good rate (as far as I could tell) and I never let it go flat. And the times it did stick on it didn't seem to be labouring.

So still a bit in the dark a bit, will just reassemble and see what happens. If it's rooted I'll get a new efficient one but if it works I'll wait till it carks it!

More
10 years 1 month ago #140107 by Sarge
Just in case you missed the idea Wedge, don't bother with DIY on the starter. I found some Auto "lecs wont bother touching them either. I have a mate who will, but they cost naming rights to several small children, and he said get a good second hand one or a Jap replacement. I did both, the second hand one was only good for a few weeks, then I got the Jap, it does all that is required, every time.

Happy cranking ;D

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #140108 by wedgetail84
I get what you're saying Sarge, but don't really have the money to splash on something that isn't essential right now. And as the old CAV motor works, it's included. Saving up for a T6.3544 or 6v53 anyway.

So, she's cranking again! With the CA45 too... Went back together no worries (again manual is great), wasn't sure about the end float as it talks about using the gauge for the spindle but doesn't give measurements for that bit. Tried following the size for the gauge but it meant I couldn't get enough free float so put shims back how they were (and had correct free float). Back in and started up no worries and did't stick. Not taking any chances though will keep the battery disconnected from now on until I get an isolator...

Still would't mind a nice new jap style one though

More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #140109 by Sarge
Well done Wedge.... I bought a special Reconditioned one from my reliable mate, started the truck dead easy, lucky I had the engine cover off, looked down gazing at the mighty Perkins throbbing away and noticed the Starter had a lovely pink glow, My feet didnt touch ground running around to the other side and rip a very hot lead off the battery, then back again to shut her down. :o

Got a 95% refund... it did start ya truck... once.... :'(

good luck with the replant...

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds