Skip to main content

Perkins 6354 and 1006 phaser cross over

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #142370 by wedgetail84
How much do the 6354 and 1006 phaser (Cat 3056) have in common? Specifically wondering if manifolds and starter will swap over?

What's the availability of 1006/3506 used parts like? Are there many being wrecked or are they unusual to see being parted out?
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by wedgetail84.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142371 by wedgetail84
hmm they must be less popular than I thought. Anyone know what are the NA ones like (1006-6)? Looks like they don't have a heap more hp/torque than the 6354, but I assume they're a better all round motor. Are the turbo and non turbo the same motor but with a turbo - like piston cooling/beefed con rods etc.? As in can you throw a turbo on an NA model and she'll be good as a 1006-T6?

More
9 years 7 months ago #142372 by wedgetail84

How much do the 6354 and 1006 phaser (Cat 3056) have in common? Specifically wondering if manifolds and starter will swap over?

What's the availability of 1006/3506 used parts like? Are there many being wrecked or are they unusual to see being parted out?

After this info again, might have a line on a 180 phaser... But no bellhousing/flywheel/starter. Do these swap over from the 6354. A local truck mechanic seems to think so but wondering if anyone here can confirm?

More
9 years 7 months ago #142373 by wreckerpat
Mate, pretty sure I've come across in the past, a "180T" which I'm assuming is the same phaser 180hp turbo motor...?

From memory the bellhousing pattern etc on these was compatible with the old 6-354. not 100% sure but hope this helps, cheers Pat

More
9 years 7 months ago #142374 by wedgetail84

Mate, pretty sure I've come across in the past, a "180T" which I'm assuming is the same phaser 180hp turbo motor...?

From memory the bellhousing pattern etc on these was compatible with the old 6-354. not 100% sure but hope this helps, cheers Pat

Thanks. I'd say 180T is it... When you say bellhousing pattern do you mean where the flywheel housing bolts to the block, or where the clutch housing bolts to the FH? Cos this should be an SAE. Any memory about the clutch pattern?

Also the harmonic balancer up the other end - I hear this is very important for variable (automotive) RPM 6354s, is this the case for phasers too? And if so what are the chances of a 6354 HB fitting the phaser crank?

More
9 years 7 months ago #142375 by kenny-mopar
I'm no expert but there are a lot of differences between a 6.354 & a phaser I wouldn't expect too many parts to be interchangeable .. By the way the last of the 6.354 turbos were a good motor

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #142376 by wedgetail84
Yeah wouldn't turn down a T6.354 but I don't have a lead on good one for a good price nearby... There's a dot4 non turbo for 2150 and that's all I've seen for a while.

Apart from my local mechanic there's this (post 21) which confirms flywheel housing interchangeability but not flywheel or harmonic balancer - www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63151&page=3

Anyone know about the importance of the harmonic balancer in a phaser?
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #142377 by wedgetail84
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
9 years 7 months ago #142378 by Roy O
The old 6354 & 6354T dot 4 phaser are the same .
Not sure about 1006 phaser.

More
9 years 7 months ago #142379 by GB fitter
The 6 pot Phaser with mechanical fuel injection has a horizontally mounted injection pump, (often Bosch VE) which is a PITA to remove; it is even more difficult than the Cummins BT. There are no timing marks anywhere on the engine to aid installation, the method being to drop no 2 cylinder inlet valve onto the top of the piston and set injection using a dti reading from the valve stem. The coolant pump is gear driven and fairly often leaks into the sump.

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds