Skip to main content

Perkins 6354 and 1006 phaser cross over

More
9 years 7 months ago #142380 by wedgetail84

The 6 pot Phaser with mechanical fuel injection has a horizontally mounted injection pump, (often Bosch VE) which is a PITA to remove; it is even more difficult than the Cummins BT. There are no timing marks anywhere on the engine to aid installation, the method being to drop no 2 cylinder inlet valve onto the top of the piston and set injection using a dti reading from the valve stem. The coolant pump is gear driven and fairly often leaks into the sump.

you're obviously not a fan - do you reckon the 6354 is a better motor?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #142381 by kenny-mopar
I had ( on the rocker cover it said 6354.4) Perkins turbo years ago in a Acco I think the running gear was from a 1988 model Acco that motor was reliable good on fuel and went better than the (155hp?) it was supposed to produce from memory the turbo on it was a T3

More
9 years 7 months ago #142382 by GB fitter
Now going back into the mists of time with the 6354.4 turbo. Even the comparatively low mileage and moderately worked ones I came across always seemed to have oily turbo compressor wheels. The main headache was failed oil coolers, which was more hassle to deal with than the Phaser coolant pump since it's more difficult to get oil out of the radiator than coolant out of the sump.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #142383 by wedgetail84
OK thanks for that. Given everything I've read about them (kind of lacking real world experience of them myself) I get the impression overall phasers are good motors... Am I on track?

Also, how do you identify the chinese ones? The one I'm looking at doesn't seem to have the ID plate with the serial number in the right place (same side as IP, ally tag riveted to block in the centre)

EDIT - just for other's interest, you tell a chinese from a UK motor by the number of bolts holding the IP flange down. 3 is UK 4 is china
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
9 years 7 months ago #142384 by kenny-mopar
www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mullumbimby/heav...el-engine/1058113277

looks like a phaser ? altho the position of the starter may be awkward with some Aussie trucks

More
9 years 7 months ago #142385 by GB fitter
Gumtree picture does indeed show a Phaser engine. It's not just the starter in an awkward place, Perkins as normal with nearly all their engines, manage to put the fuel lift pump where you can't even see it, let alone get at it properly once the engine is installed in the chassis.

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds