Skip to main content

International D Line series trucks.

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #142849 by

After I left KW Footscray (late 1976 IIRC), I did a six month stint at the IH Truck plant in Dandenong. I worked in the "Truck Sales processing Section" which was located "way out the back". You would get a build order, go out, select the right truck, bring it in a tear it completely to pieces, then re-assemble to customers requirements. I did several D1610 Inters where we would rip out the single rear end, fit a bogie drive assembly, and build them up as 6 wheel drive, with full air. These were built up for the Snowy Mountain Authority. The also did dual controls in ACCO's for garbo truck use, many engine and transmission changes and the like. Interesting work there, but lousy salary.

..g'day grumpy .. i have a DCO 405 Inter that was sold NEW to Howes and Medew from Morwell in 1968...

...only problem ...this DCO was one of the first of these big cabovers that were starting to ply our highways (if not the first) ....a 1964 model, and was apparently Internationals demonstrator right up till the release of the CO4070 series around that time in 1968...Howes and Medew bought what they thought was a brand new truck!.....

...Inters always got up to all sorts of mischief back in the day ::) ::).....cheers mate

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142850 by bparo
Don't take an Inter catalogue as being the Bible of what Inter did. There's a R190 around that passed through the hands of a now deceased HCVCA member that was delivered new with a Leyland motor fitted.

Last I heard of the truck it was somewhere neat Mildura but the owner had to be convinced. He was about to take the Leyland motor out and throw it away as it wasn't the right motor according to the catalogues. If he had done the unique feature of the vehicle would have been lost.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 11 months ago #142851 by Ken903
Just when you think that you have read every thing you can find and start to get a bit of a handle on the models and meanings things change haha. There is a very good article in this months vintage truck and commercial magazine buy rod bender cheers

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds