Skip to main content

International D Line series trucks.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142839 by geoffa
Can anyone tell me if there were bonneted D Lines supplied with Cummins or Detroit engines ex factory.
If so what were the model designations ?.

I have a D1830 with a 6354.4 Perkins. The engine appears to be painted black over silver. It this how it would have been delivered from IH ?.

Geoff.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142840 by IHScout
The D1950 had Cummins 160 as standard. Special orders could get you GM671 or Cummins 180 or Cummins 555.

Dennis

More
9 years 11 months ago #142841 by Ken903
I have a D1910 with a 392 V8 I have a D line book I will check for you tomorrow cheers

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 11 months ago #142842 by Swishy
Guess n here
Th@ Inters din wanna get to involved in please n the customer

cos they sent many a truck up the rd to Bill Norling
to fit the desired engine n modifications th@ inters could never supply

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 11 months ago #142843 by grumpy
After I left KW Footscray (late 1976 IIRC), I did a six month stint at the IH Truck plant in Dandenong. I worked in the "Truck Sales processing Section" which was located "way out the back". You would get a build order, go out, select the right truck, bring it in a tear it completely to pieces, then re-assemble to customers requirements. I did several D1610 Inters where we would rip out the single rear end, fit a bogie drive assembly, and build them up as 6 wheel drive, with full air. These were built up for the Snowy Mountain Authority. The also did dual controls in ACCO's for garbo truck use, many engine and transmission changes and the like. Interesting work there, but lousy salary.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142844 by Ken903
Good morning gentlemen. We also have a D 1910. With a factory fitted V6-53 it is a 1973 model. According to the parts catalogue in the bigger trucks there were D 1810. 1830. 1910. And 1950. Cheers

More
9 years 11 months ago #142845 by indianman
G'day I was always under the impression that 10 series were petrol, 30 series was light diesel ( Perkins/Neuss ) and 50 series was heavy diesel ( GM, Cummins etc)

Jon

More
9 years 11 months ago #142846 by hayseed

G'day I was always under the impression that 10 series were petrol, 30 series was light diesel ( Perkins/Neuss ) and 50 series was heavy diesel ( GM, Cummins etc)

Jon

I agree with this also.
But I'd hazard a guess that Ken903's Truck had a detour to Norlings workshop Between the factory & the Dealer..

But happy to be corrected..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 11 months ago #142847 by Dodge fred
I have seen other D1910 with factory fit 6V53, stamped on the build plate, the factory V8 trucks had a different steering shaft from the fire wall to the steering box for more clearance to the exhaust. V8185 in the C line also used the same set up. That might be the reason the GMs ended up in d1910.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142848 by wedgetail84
Is there any literature to show this? If you wanted to put a 6v53 in a C/D line and could show they came out with one as a factory option you wouldn't need an engineer's certificate right?

Special orders could get you GM671

do you not mean 6v53?

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds