Skip to main content

Eaton no. 4 query

More
9 years 11 months ago #142928 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query

Thanks fellas

My changer looks different to that one but works on the same principle.

Oil was changed when we dropped the diff in, didn't look into it too much at the time. It had an electric changer on it but the casing was smashed so the wrecker gave me the solenoid and air changer.I have added oil to the changer as well.

Swapping over to an electric will certainly tell me if it's in the diff or the changer.

Ash, What type of Oil did you put in the changer??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142929 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query
Choc's I know the Japs use air, but they are a different set up.

I', only going on what I've seen too, but all the bogie drive Eaton diffs I've seen use air and aren't meant to be used as a splitter, and the single drive ones I've seen are electric and are meant to be used as a splitter.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142930 by ashmenz0
Replied by ashmenz0 on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query
Hi Swishy

I haven't tried that. I am pretty sure the clutch lets go OK. The noise starts as soon as I get off the go pedal, telling me it lets go quick enough.

Hi Hayseed

Old mate gave me some oil, not excatly sure but it looked quite auto trans fluid or similar, really thin stuff. I don't reckon it had much, if any, when i first got it and started using it. I remember it not changing to high ratio on one of our first trips in it. Thats when I investigated the oil level.

Cheers

Ash

More
9 years 11 months ago #142931 by ashmenz0
Replied by ashmenz0 on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query
Hi Bigcam

Funny you say that. It had an electric one on it but the casing was buggered. Might have to track down another casing and get the old electric motor back off my mate that I gave it to.

Thanks

Ash

More
9 years 11 months ago #142932 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query

Choc's I know the Japs use air, but they are a different set up.

I', only going on what I've seen too, but all the bogie drive Eaton diffs I've seen use air and aren't meant to be used as a splitter, and the single drive ones I've seen are electric and are meant to be used as a splitter.

If I am on the right track..
The bogies you are referring to are Dual Range ..
on / off road ratios..selected prior to take off

Not '2 speeds' like #4's
Leyland use 'Air' 2 speeds

There is a fella in Echuca, does Earthmoving, will be able to assist you with your 'situation' ash
Hes in the phone book..

chocs 8-)

More
9 years 11 months ago #142933 by Motu
Replied by Motu on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query
I always thought the air shift was faster than the electric....They only do a power downshift, you can't downshift for engine braking, lots of noises back there if you try that. I used to have a vacuum shift, never seen one before or since. It was out of an A5, and put it in my KM Bedford. Downshifts were fast, but upshifts were about as slow as a gearbox shift, not a problem.

We had trouble with a Ford D Series a couple of months ago, the motor was really slow, so fitted a new electric motor and it worked well again.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142934 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query
Dual Range was like the 1418. Select low range for take off, high would then be selected as a once only range change. Only the cowboys attempted to split.

Eaton No5 under an Acco powered by a 210 that I drove for Kraft Foods, had a 5 speed o/drive box with a air 2 speed, with s cam brakes, could split that one better than electric, which now reminds me of the 52 Ford with the sidewacker that had a Vac operated 2 speed.
My point here is, I have driven the 3 combos in my time, & if working correctly, all changed with similar characteristics.
Getting back to the original question on this thread, obviously a problem exists, so what is it??
The change from high to Low in my C Line is as quick as you can dump the clutch to unload the drive line.
The change up time is dependant on the engine rpm to unwind to allow the mesh so to speak, eg. a sticky throttle or slow decel of the rpm will delay the completion.
If in doubt, ring the boss man at Bayswater diffs in Melb, he is the man who has rebuilt more 2 speed diffs than he cares to remember, did mine in the C, drive in, drive out, full centre rebuild with new crown & pinion in approx. 4 hrs.
Hope this info helps.
Gilly

More
9 years 11 months ago #142935 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query
At the risk of Opening a real

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXMwoMKUL8Mie2FvCovyJlfm7X0WEVgpP3Xt-D6RTzf_08dr_YQeGlbw

we've discussed all this before...

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1321360977
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1314098619
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1310261672

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 11 months ago #142936 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query
I have used various 2 speed diffs over the years with "mixed' results. Nine out of ten times they would would work fine.
Best by a long shot was one in an early Hino, absolutely idiot proof. I think it was Hinos own version of an Eaton.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142937 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Eaton no. 4 query
This brings to mind a story about an old western bloke who got a new truck with a 2 speed diff....told his sons that you only use the red button in an emergency, that's why it's red. ;D
They were soon splitting gears....told to me by one of the sons.

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.593 seconds