Skip to main content

Land cruiser steering box

More
9 years 4 months ago #152446 by Hemi74
Ah Clarkie I like your train of thought , will check em out and see where bolt holes/ pitman arm is facing if all lines up , could be a goer :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152447 by oldgmc
Hemi 74 have you thought of using a rack and pinion there,s a mob in Adelaide doing them Retrorack

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
9 years 4 months ago #152448 by Hemi74
Ah ok that sounds like a option worth looking into , do you know what sort of coin they are? Or have a web site for them , maybe they sell the kit etc and can fit it myself

More
9 years 4 months ago #152449 by Old Yella
Mazda 4000 steering box in my D1610 4x4. Toyota steering column, Isuzu 6DBT powerplant, double overdrive box(6spd).

More
9 years 4 months ago #152450 by Hemi74
Nice job old yella, what year Mazda 4000 and what year Toyota , land cruiser I take it? And was there much messing around to fit it , the splines on the steering from the Toyota fitted the Mazda 4000 ??

More
9 years 4 months ago #152451 by Old Yella
G'day Hemi, unfortunately I didn't do the work. Column looks to be from a from a '45 series. If you're interested to talk to the builder I'll have a word with him and if he's o.k with me passing on his ph #, I'll let you know. He's one extremely knowledgable bloke. Some of the work he did on the D1610, air seats, air cond, tipper, winch, power steer, engine/trans, big single rims, the list goes on. Cheers, Paul.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152452 by rockcrawler31
An 80 series will be forward throw and a 75 series will be rear throw on the pitman arm (or vice versa, but for this exact point in time i can't remember which). The 75 series box on my race truck held and turned 38" tyres easily, but eventually snapped the sector shaft in half in the middle of a race when i bound it up against a rock ;D ;D

I would hazard that with even 20 inch rims the 80 or 75 box will be just fine for several reasons -

1. the tyres on your truck will be smaller in diameter than my 38"s, but diameter is insignificant considering you're turning on a pivot axis not a diameter.

2. your tyres will be pumped to a much higher pressure and will likely be narrower than the 13.5" that mine were. Hence a smaller contact patch and ergo less resistance to turning

3. Even though your GVM is higher than my 3ton race truck most of that will be on the back axle.

4. Have a look at the length of the stock steering knuckle arm on the donor vehicle compared to your dodge. A comparatively longer arm on the knuckle will give more leverage to the steering box but will give less steering lock for a given pitman arm throw.

At the end of the day, have a look at the diameter of the sector shaft of the LC box and compare it to the diameter of the original non power steer box you have already. If they're the same diameter, then at least strength and safety factor wise you'll be fine. As for power, you simply have to do the sums and compare the factors i've listed above

Hope this helps.

I've got the truck

More
9 years 4 months ago #152453 by indianman
G'day Hemi perhaps a call to an appropriate modification inspector/engineer might help to see what they would/have passed.

Jon

More
9 years 4 months ago #152454 by Hemi74

G'day Hemi, unfortunately I didn't do the work. Column looks to be from a from a '45 series. If you're interested to talk to the builder I'll have a word with him and if he's o.k with me passing on his ph #, I'll let you know. He's one extremely knowledgable bloke. Some of the work he did on the D1610, air seats, air cond, tipper, winch, power steer, engine/trans, big single rims, the list goes on. Cheers, Paul.

Cheers thanks Paul some great info there sounds like this guy might have a few answers and he thinks out of the box a bit, thing is I don't want to throw on one too light and come around a corner and it crap out on me with a machine on the back, bit of research on it and a few different peoples grey matter on the job always helps :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #152455 by Hemi74

An 80 series will be forward throw and a 75 series will be rear throw on the pitman arm (or vice versa, but for this exact point in time i can't remember which). The 75 series box on my race truck held and turned 38" tyres easily, but eventually snapped the sector shaft in half in the middle of a race when i bound it up against a rock ;D ;D

I would hazard that with even 20 inch rims the 80 or 75 box will be just fine for several reasons -

1. the tyres on your truck will be smaller in diameter than my 38"s, but diameter is insignificant considering you're turning on a pivot axis not a diameter.

2. your tyres will be pumped to a much higher pressure and will likely be narrower than the 13.5" that mine were. Hence a smaller contact patch and ergo less resistance to turning

3. Even though your GVM is higher than my 3ton race truck most of that will be on the back axle.

4. Have a look at the length of the stock steering knuckle arm on the donor vehicle compared to your dodge. A comparatively longer arm on the knuckle will give more leverage to the steering box but will give less steering lock for a given pitman arm throw.

At the end of the day, have a look at the diameter of the sector shaft of the LC box and compare it to the diameter of the original non power steer box you have already. If they're the same diameter, then at least strength and safety factor wise you'll be fine. As for power, you simply have to do the sums and compare the factors i've listed above

Hope this helps.

rock crawler yes i can imagine the old ticker must have jumped a few beats when that broke, yer i can imagine the enormous load that would have been on your truck with those big tires , will throw up a few pics of my steering box location and arm positions, got to sort out this photo bucket :o

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds