Skip to main content

Commers with Knockers...

More
9 years 5 days ago #158316 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
definitely a "bitzer"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
9 years 5 days ago #158317 by
Replied by on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
...she sits up nice and straight jeffo .. how do you tell she's a later model chassis, and not just all the good bits thrown in?

More
9 years 5 days ago #158318 by Cunning Stunt
100% jeffo, 1956 cab on a later chassis, mid-late 60's if it's a 6 speed. I'd like the cab, that's about all

Some play hard to get

More
9 years 5 days ago #158319 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
She does sit tall, I think too tall from my memory of those old girls.
You'd have to get the tape measure out to verify.
Later trucks had wider thicker front springs, front shocks and we've already been through the visible stuff.
If I remember the chassis was a poofteenth thicker in later years too.
How they got the brake pedal to work may also give an indication of the tall cab height.
Who knows perhaps it's a deceased estate and the relatives don't know what they're selling, but there's so much info available on the net.
Howard Pettigrew's site would be the first stop.

• Topic Author
9 years 5 days ago #158320 by
..she's got some nice upgrades all up .. is it that important that they're 'nth degree correct?....bearing in mind she's almost 60 years old. 8-)

More
9 years 5 days ago #158321 by jeffo
Yes all sensible additions, just be more upfront with the advertising.

More
9 years 5 days ago #158322 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
Hi all, It looks like a CBEW because they were the first to have the bell housing to suit the later model Gearbox, whether it be a 5 or 6 speed one. The motor/Gearbox could even be later, being a 6 speed. The diff is definitely much later than 58 as the No. 4 Eaton back then had dowels as well as the studs. The rear brakes are later model. The front Springs may only have been set up high with the later springs but they could have spacers also. I agree with everybody else , it looks like a mid 60's truck with a pre- 1960's Cab. - Kav.

• Topic Author
9 years 4 days ago - 9 years 4 days ago #158323 by
....but what's the difference with the chassis on this one compared to an earlier "correct" one? .. every hard working truck under the Aussie sun has had some sort of upgrade (or plenty of upgrades)...

.... i guess if the the chassis is correct for the cab, the upgrades are "de rigueur".....???

More
9 years 4 days ago #158324 by jeffo
Of course you're correct Detective, look how many KW's have their worn out torsion bar rear ends replaced with Hendrickson or a 6-rod from a wreck.
Thinking back to the hard work Commers did, it's a wonder there's enough bits left to build a truck.

• Topic Author
9 years 4 days ago #158325 by
...i think i wrote on the other thread..."like asking a boy to do a man's job" is a pretty apt description of those early 3.25 litre knockers :o :o

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds