Skip to main content

Commers with Knockers...

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #158336 by defective
g'day all .. i snagged a good deal on the green one that was in Gatton Qld, and now i'm the proud owner of a genuine 1955 Commer QX CD 762 with its original chassis and correct ch/no for the type...(T83A 3065)...

...She has undergone many upgrades through her 60 year existence including the later TS3 Knocker, 6 speed overdrive, hydraulic clutch, and 10 stud hubs/drums...but running what appears to be the original front axle, 2 speed diff and housing and very correct looking power assist steering (just going by the January 1956 parts, maintenance and workshop manuals in my possession) ??

...amazingly it is showing a heck of a lot of originality regarding the cab and chassis and the steep learning curve is a real breath of fresh air (even Janine thinks it looks cute!) after nearly 25 years of scratching my head looking at cracks, thick paint and loose rivets on those dear old Petes and Kennys which will always take a heap of doing to get right...but now is not the right time.....

...a good LH door would be nice if anyone knows of one ?? cheers fellas
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #158337 by Cunning Stunt
PHIL!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) I never knew that you swung both ways ;D ;D ;D Good one mate...............you know my number

Some play hard to get

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #158338 by defective
..hey cunning .. i would've rung you earlier if i had your number ol' mate...it all went down the gurgler with the crash when all my PM's got wiped out on that fateful Sunday ;D ;D...

...could you PM me please ?...thx in advance

More
8 years 10 months ago #158339 by Cunning Stunt
sure mate

Some play hard to get

More
8 years 10 months ago #158340 by ChainDrive
Hey there Phil
Glad that you are happy with the old girl, and that it is more original than it at first appeared. Its going to a good home by the sounds of it. Good luck with it.

More
8 years 10 months ago #158341 by overnite
Congrats on the purchase defective. Don't forget the photos of ongoing work. Good luck. You'll love the noise. I hated it when I drove them in their heyday, but like everything " The older I get, the better it was". or something like that.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #158342 by defective
...thanks for the kind regards fellas .. just looking forward to just having a bit of fun nibbling around the edges of her and a possibility of "Crawlin the Hume" next April is a pretty good aiming point....and yes overnite .. that noisy, bloody engine is as sweet as a nut! 8-)

More
8 years 10 months ago #158343 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
Hi defective, you should have a real good goer there because all the crook parts have been replaced. Those hubs and brakes should be really good and it should be able to keep up with anything on the road with the later motor and the 6 speed box. Hope everything goes well with it - Kav.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #158344 by defective
Hi Kav .. i drove her around the block and as she is right now, I don't reckon I'd want to keep up with anything...or anyone!! ;D ;D ;D

..."old trucks go slow" is my motto....this lovely old truck is a poignant reminder :o ::) ;D

More
8 years 10 months ago #158345 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Commers with Knockers...
Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but what was the official model designation of the Dodge-badged one with the Cummins V8? Just curious, that's all. (with the model of cab which might have single, or dual headlights)

Thanks, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds