Skip to main content

Drivers changing their own tyres

More
8 years 11 months ago #159068 by lorryoligist
out back truckers is true isn't it if its not im shocked
changing tyres, adjusting brakes pulling gearboxes, changing clutches, brake over hauls, and every thing in between was and still is the run of the mill for all owner drivers don't know what the fuss is about we could do it better and in half the time of the work shops like " drive train " and "Power train" and at a lot less cost like 1/4 the price

peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159069 by PaulFH
Could anyone advise if the three piece rims on earlier European trucks are still legal? Think they were called
trilok or similar. Had a lever to spring out the first segment when changing a tire. Thanks, Paul.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #159070 by hayseed

Could anyone advise if the three piece rims on earlier European trucks are still legal? Think they were called
trilok or similar. Had a lever to spring out the first segment when changing a tire. Thanks, Paul.

Paul, they're called Trilex rims..

We've had a discussion about them before..

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1319535051

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by hayseed.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159071 by PaulFH
Thanks Hayseed, answers the query well. All the best, Paul.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159072 by VicHung
Paul, they were called Trilex and were commonly used on European trucks (Fiat, Volvo, MAN etc) before the days of tubeless tyres. They are very rare now of course as tubes are essential with them but they aren't banned here in NZ and I am almost certain that they haven't been banned in Australia either.

Vic

More
8 years 10 months ago #159073 by Mrsmackpaul
the new cane harvesters have a 3 piece rim like them but are tubeless and theres a rubber ring you drop in before putting the last locking in

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #159074 by mammoth
Not illegal but I know of one case when RTA was doing one of their roadside blitz and idiot inspector issued defect for 6 cracked wheel rims! Old mate was prepared to demonstrate a tyre change there and then as it is apparently very easy and quick, but being in town it was quicker to go round the corner to get the "defects" signed off - educating idiot inspector drafted in from office work would have taken a lot longer.
The trilex are not compatible with spider hubs, however if you want to go tubeless I believe that you can (or could anyway) get one piece tubeless rims to fit.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by mammoth.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159075 by rex
Evening Gentlemen.
Trilex rims had a serious problem, if you were a bit heavy 12 or so tonnes per axle they started to move, creak, creak, dead giver way.
Mammoth, you are correct, there was a tubeless rim to suit the Trilex spider, no more creaking !
Old fella, the question of what can a Driver do is a grey area, it simply comes down to, until nothing goes wrong it all seems to be OK, training is the simple answer, did you train the person to perform the task.
I have attended two Forums in the past two weeks, one in Adelaide one in Sydney, the focus is all about compliance, in particular the COR, never if you are in the Road Transport Business knock the COR because it it here to protect us, it is here to ensure your client gets it right. Now before we all go negative, think about this, get it right the old days are over, no more 12 tonne an axle, I have been there , never want to go back, but if you can demonstrate the training you have given to the Driver correspondences with the work carried out on the vehicle then from my understanding is you are OK.
In my humble opinion sometimes the media are our industries worst enemy, they simply don't understand what we are doing.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 10 months ago #159076 by Mrsmackpaul
COR is only as good as the next bloke the problem being with all this stuff someone will always take short cuts and then the COR wont work it only takes one person to take the short cuts you wont make no money sitting on the side of the road obeying the rules and every other bugger is making money breaking them

just saying

I do agree it is a good idea but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds