Skip to main content

R model Bedford

More
8 years 6 months ago #163543 by Southpaw
R model Bedford was created by Southpaw
Hi all,

I have recently acquired an R model Bedford (nostalgia got the better of me as the first truck I can recall riding in was a Simsmetal S model Marel in the 60s). It is currently red but underneath that I can see some yellow and the chassis seems to be grey or black. I don't know anything of its history but suspect that it may be an ex SEC vehicle. Could anyone confirm that the SEC used this sort of truck?
Also I can't find a manufacture date anywhere. Is this something you can find out from some website using the engine or chassis numbers?

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #163582 by Bedford4home
Replied by Bedford4home on topic R model Bedford
Hi Southpaw,

Welcome to the world of people owning R series Bedfords.

The build date is hidden in the chassis number.
The example given in the parts handbook is:-
RFPIW 9T461953
This decodes as follows:-
R = R model
F = 300 CU Inch petrol motor
P = 20,000 to 22,000 lbs GVW
I = actually a 1 and means Short chassis.
W = 4 speed transmission with Winch option

9 = 1969 production
T = made in the Dunstable factory
461953 is the chassis number.

The VIN ID plates were introduced in 1967, Production years indicated by the 6th character are,
7 = 1967
8 = 1968
9 = 1969
0 = 1970
1 = 1971
etc

If your truck was made before 1967 it will not have a VIN like the one explained above.

cheers,
Pip
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southpaw

More
8 years 6 months ago #163585 by defective
Replied by defective on topic R model Bedford
Hi Southpaw and welcome .. if you post your ch/no the boys here may be able to decipher the whole thing...cheers mate

More
8 years 6 months ago #163842 by Southpaw
Replied by Southpaw on topic R model Bedford
Thanks Defective,

I'm not sure why I didn't do that at the start.

Chassis RLHC3 No 32663
Engine No. RL342540
Paint 253
Insert 2380
Body R42M

I suspected a manufacture date around 1960 and now thanks to bedford4home's post I know it's pre 1967.

Cheers

More
8 years 6 months ago #163906 by Bedford4home
Replied by Bedford4home on topic R model Bedford
Hi Southpaw,

Unfortunately I do not have a list of chassis or engine numbers and the years they were used.
The nearest I can come is to tell you that one of my RLs that has the engine number RL3/48428 was supposedly built in either 1961 or 62. This information came from the good folks in the RSOLES Yahoo group that has mainly UK members. These people are very keen followers of the 'Green Goddess' fire engine version of the RL. I suggest joining that group, and asking them what year is was made in.

Is your RL a Holden assembled one? The Holden assembled ones were supposedly shipped as knocked down kits of parts and assembled at one of the Holden assembly plants, but I do not know what the location of the assembly plant was.

cheers,
Pip

More
8 years 6 months ago #163908 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic R model Bedford
I think 253 is just the prefix for the paint. (e.g. : 253 02380, or such.) If there is no number after that (perhaps hand-stamped under layers of paint) it may be a fleet colour as you suspect. (and thus may not be in my paint book) I couldn't find 2380 between 1958 and '73 in the paint book. (I always thought "insert" was the side-flash colour)

I have seen GMH vehicles with blanks before. (but where the engine/gearbox codes should be)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds