Skip to main content

Thoughts on acquiring a 1973 Marshal Leyland?

More
8 years 1 month ago #168749 by Sarge
Erik, you didnt give anyone much to go one so he didnt give much in return I guess... keep the info coming and at least you put a picture up...
;)

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168750 by hayseed

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 1 month ago #168751 by Erik
Thanks Paul, that would be helpful. I have looked on the bus forum, but can't find anything useful yet. I am waiting for a call back from the owner to find out some more details about the truck, but if you have the likely specs, that could be useful.

Erik

More
8 years 1 month ago #168766 by cemeNTepede
Righto Erik,here are some thoughts from someone who has driven and serviced said AEC (Leyland) Marshals "back in the day".
1973 build will be 2TGM6 (RE) designation.Find the chassis designation (as part of the chassis number) stamped on the LH chassis rail in the area directly above the front axle.Will look something like "2TGM6RE 1234".
Should be AEC AV505 6cyl ( 8.22 ltrs) powered @ about 150-165 hp.Honest,reliable,smooth running and comparitively quiet.Marshals are medium weight 6 wheelers whose factory design weight is max 24 tons.
In Australia and NZ many of these wagons worked their whole lives with semi or dog trailers at weights more usually around 35-38 tons.
Gearbox should be AEC D197 6sp overdrive.Constant mesh.Good strong 'box.User friendly with little training.
It may possibly have a RoadRanger fitted now,perhaps an RTO613 or 9513. Either is good.Makes an already good truck,better.
Most likely it will have a single point rear suspension that bears a striking resemblance to a Rockwell six rod.
Stable,bullet proof,good firm (not rough) ride.Maintainance free.
It may possibly have an AEC four spring,balance beam rear suspension.
I would expect it to have AEC double reduction axles....also bullet proof.
The "Ergomatic" tilt cab in your picture looks to be in pretty good shape.They are easy to get into,comfortable and have good all round vision.Look around the roof line /gutter for rot.Also at the back of the cab where the mudguards meet the cab.....for rot...its double skinned around there.
Look for rot also in the main cab frame at the front of the cab.....easily accessible by removing the front grille section.This is easily removed by opening both doors to access the four retaining bolts in the A pillar.The main cab frame also forms the front cab mounts/tilt hinge.
It's hard to tell from a photo,but just looking at yours,I wouldn't think you will have much to worry about in the Serious Rot Dept.
These "Ergos" are nice trucks to drive.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
8 years 1 month ago #168771 by Erik
Thanks cemeNT..
That is useful. I finally managed to talk to the guy and he confirmed it was an AEC 6 cylinder diesel. He wasn't keen on selling it to me though, because the motor had some serious oil leaks, possibly including the main shaft seal.

However, given what you say, might it still be worth toying with?

Erik

More
8 years 1 month ago #168774 by atkipete
Those cabs were prone to rust and if this is a good one certainly worth restoring.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168812 by overnite
I must be missing something. You want to buy it, but he doesn't want to sell it to you?

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168813 by Erik

It is kind of growing on me. It is a tipper, but I would also want to mount my Hiab crane in front. Maybe carve a metre off the tray and reposition the ram?

Is anyone near Yarrawonga, near Albury who might like to look at the old girl and give me some idea of whether she is worth resurrecting?

Erik
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Erik. Reason: spelling

More
8 years 1 month ago #168816 by dieseldog
If oil leaks are all you have to worry about, I'd have done a deal already....

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168821 by Erik

overnite wrote: I must be missing something. You want to buy it, but he doesn't want to sell it to you?

Well Yes. I worry that I am missing something too. He seemed reluctant. Not sure if because he didn't think I could use it on a monthly basis or for a long trip or what.

He seemed to think the oil leaks were major, but I will have to go and look at it I guess. There was something that didn't make sense.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Erik. Reason: extra

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds