Skip to main content

North-east link (Melbourne, Vic.)

More
6 years 11 months ago #181949 by Roderick Smith
170427Th Melbourne Herald Sun - north-east link.

Roderick

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #181954 by Mrsmackpaul
well thats the answer another toll road

Bugger me I have a old map out of the 60's that showed all these proposed FWY's back then when I reckon Melbourne only had a 1/4 of the people
Nothing like building roads nearly 60 years out of date :blink: :blink:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 11 months ago #181963 by overnite
I thought the Victorian govt was against toll roads. After all, didn't they pay for one that never got built?

More
6 years 11 months ago #181968 by atkipete
Brilliant ( and thirty years overdue). Will take some traffic on the Monash as well.

More
6 years 11 months ago #181981 by Roderick Smith
Matt Johnston: โ€˜Missingโ€™ freeway vital to election.
Herald Sun April 27, 2017.
IF YOU believe Premier Daniel Andrews, the No.1 priority for the next big road in Victoria is the completion of the Metropolitan Ring Road, known as the North East Link.
The road that the RACV calls the โ€œmissing linkโ€ in Melbourneโ€™s network, would be built to connect the Ring Rd at Greensborough to either the Eastern Freeway or EastLink.
The โ€œnext bigโ€ thing rhetoric of Andrews this week is a mile from the musings of the man who, in early 2014, ridiculed the road in a local northeast suburbs newspaper because it would supposedly take decades to build and cost a vast amount of money.
At that time, when Andrews was state opposition leader, then-premier Denis Napthine said a different road project was the No.1 priority.
That was the East West Link Stage One, joining the Eastern Freeway to CityLink in Parkville.
Andrews killed that tollway off when he came to government, and in the process threw away $1.2 billion sunk on the project.
That decision is no doubt remembered by many motorists in the southeast and east of Melbourne who didnโ€™t believe, or listen to, Andrews when he said the project was a โ€œdudโ€.
Most of them just heard about a plan to โ€œfixโ€ traffic woes.
Premier Daniel Andrews says the number one priority for the next big road in Victoria is the completion of the Metropolitan Ring Road, known as the North East Link. Picture: Lawrence Pinder Since early 2014, about 370,000 people have moved to Victoria and most have set up homes in Melbourne.
The more people move here, the more infrastructure is needed to ease the crush.
Enter the North East Link.
The sudden rush to embrace this project is remarkable, but hardly surprising given the need for the next state government to secure key seats in Melbourneโ€™s northeast.Once changes are made to federal electorate boundaries, it might also become a greater focus of Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten.
At the moment, some of the most marginal state seats are in the northeast, including Eltham, Ivanhoe and Yan Yean.
Labor holds all three by margins of less than 3.7 per cent.
While the NE Link didnโ€™t seem to have appeal in 2014, promising a road to ease congestion in or near-ish to those seats โ€” letโ€™s assume it would do that โ€” sounds like a bloody good idea now.
Precious little work has been done on a route for the road, how much it would cost, or how many properties would be acquired to make way.
Infrastructure Victoria, set up by Andrews to โ€œtake the politics out of infrastructureโ€ (thatโ€™s a good one!) says it should be built within 15 years.
Infrastructure Australia also rates it a priority.
Neither has nominated a preferred route.
Liberal Leader Matthew Guy holds the seat of Bulleen. Picture: Lawrence Pinder.
In December, Andrews said there would be $35 million set aside for a business case, this week he said it would be $100 million for a business case plus pre-construction works.
The rush to establish the route for the project is partly because people in some suburbs are now freaking out about a major freeway on their doorstop.
The release of the geotechnical drilling sites this week showed three core options being considered, including one in the far east of Melbourne that wonโ€™t be built.
There is also an option through sensitive land around Park Orchards and Warrandyte โ€” including bits of the seat of Eltham โ€” from the end of the Ring Rd to EastLink in Ringwood.
But if bookies were taking bets, the short-priced favourite is the route that heads south from the end of the Ring Rd at Greensborough, to connect to the Eastern Freeway at Bulleen.
Liberal Leader Matthew Guy holds the seat of Bulleen, while his mate Ryan Smith holds the nearby seat of Warrandyte.
For Labor, Anthony Carbines holds the seat of Ivanhoe, and Vicki Ward holds the seat of Eltham.
Despite the difficult local campaigns some of those MPs will face at the next election, it seems this road will now be built, as it effectively has bipartisan support.
The North East Link Authority says the project will take โ€œaround 10 years to completeโ€.
By the time it is finished, the pressures around the Hoddle St and Eastern Freeway nexus will be farcical unless flying cars make a drastic appearance.
As Infrastructure Victoria and the RACV note, that would increase the need for a road from the end of the Eastern Freeway to the west of the city (just donโ€™t call it the East West Link).
By that time, it will also be 20 years since Sir Rod Eddington recommended both a North East Link, and an East West Link.
Andrews showed this week he thinks three years is a long enough time in politics to U-turn from rejecting a massive road to embracing one.
Heโ€™s also banking on the fact that by building things, enough people will care less โ€” or ignore โ€” that he flushed away $1.2 billion not to build a road that the North East Link would make ever more necessary.
Matt Johnston is state politics editor
< www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/matt-j...42a013113927ea9c329a >

More
6 years 11 months ago #181982 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.
April 27 2017 North East Link: Residents braced to see which of the three routes the state will choose for new freeway .
When Andrew Lemon moved to Eltham in 1982, Labor was promising to finally do away with a proposed freeway that had threatened to bulldoze through the area for two decades.
John Cain jnr became premier that year, and Labor sold off some of the freeway reserve in the area. Houses now stand on it.
Melbourne's North East Link gets $100m.
The Andrews Government has announced funding for the so-called missing link in Melbourne's Metropolitan Ring Road.
"People said, 'That's it, there won't be a freeway here now'," said Dr Lemon, a historian.
Labor has different plans now: on Wednesday, Premier Daniel Andrews promised $100 million to plan the North East Link, a tollway to link the Metropolitan Ring Road in Greensborough to either the Eastern Freeway in Bulleen or EastLink.
Dr Andrew Lemon standing on a road reservation set aside in the 1960s Photo: Jason South .
There is no money to build the road โ€“ it will cost between $5 billion and $10 billion โ€“ but the $100 million would ensure the project was ready to go by the November 2018 state election, Mr Andrews said.
Maps released on Wednesday show where planned soil testing indicates three possible routes: through Bulleen and Rosanna, through St Helena and Warrandyte, or a large arc through Kangaroo Ground and Lilydale.
Dr Lemon said the government's plan to weigh up these routes was "an old method of dividing opposition", and that the least vocal community would lose.
He said taking a freeway through green wedge land in Kangaroo Grounds would be "appalling" because of its environmental value. "But whichever route it takes it's obviously going to be an intrusion."
Bumper-to-bumper traffic on Rosanna Road in Heidelberg on Wednesday. Photo: Justin McManus .
Traffic is a major problem in Melbourne's north-eastern suburbs, with Rosanna Road now a major route for trucks trying to get from the Eastern Freeway to the north.
Dr Lemon said the Kangaroo Ground route was unlikely, and that it was clearly a choice between going through Bulleen and Rosanna or via St Helena and Warrandyte. He said congestion was a major problem in the area, and needed improvement. "But we need to find the least-worst option".
Mr Andrews said that when the route was selected and the project commenced, it would create around 5000 jobs.
The $100 million will cover the cost of geotechnical investigations, design, environmental and social studies.
Roads Minister Luke Donnellan said the road would allow motorists to drive from Frankston to Altona without passing a set of traffic lights. The new link will deliver "absolutely massive time savings" for the freight industry, he said.
"Roads like Hoddle Street, Fitzsimons Lane, Rosanna Road, it will substantially reduce the congestion," he said.
The RACV's Brian Negus said it was the most crucial road project for Victoria and would alleviate traffic snarls across Melbourne's north-east. It would also provide superior freight connections in Dandenong and agriculture connections in Gippsland headed for the Epping fruit and vegetable market.
Environment Victoria chief executive Mark Wakeham said there was a risk the tollway would cause an increase in carbon emissions by encouraging more people to drive.
"The Premier recently legislated a target of net zero climate pollution for Victoria. It's hard to imagine how spending $100 million on a new freeway is consistent with this," he said.
And the Victorian Greens said the road would increase pollution and car dependency. The money was better spent "planning how to shift freight onto rail and starting the process of building new train lines to the airport, Doncaster and Rowville", Prahran MP Sam Hibbins said.
RMIT University urban policy professor Jago Dodson said claims by the government that the link would reduce congestion were made without evidence because no traffic modelling had been completed.
"We don't have a business case yet, so unless the government has data that has not been released, there is a need for extensive traffic analysis," Professor Dodson said.
The Victorian Transport Association represents the freight industry. It wants the link built via a third, longer route through Lilydale on Melbourne's north-eastern fringe. Chief executive Peter Anderson said it was important the North East Link Authority considered a route that did not include tunnels so dangerous goods vehicles could use it.
A connection between the ring road and the Eastern Freeway would almost certainly involve tunnelling beneath Heidelberg's Banyule Flats, while the connection to EastLink would likely include a tunnel through Donvale.
< www.theage.com.au/victoria/north-east-li...20170426-gvt9gy.html >

with

Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #182021 by bparo
to me the Warrandyte/Ringwood option seems to make the most sense. The short route through Greensborough drops the traffic onto an already heavily congested area and Lilydale seems to be the long way around

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 11 months ago #182023 by Swishy
BruceMan

Butt

Wadda about the rare species battlin for survival

North Ringwood rare Rainbow hootin rock frog

https://cdn1.pri.org/sites/default/files/styles/story_main/public/000220524c.jpg?itok=DxtVBjN-
East Warrandyte foot long upside down dark brown stick insect (Ctenomorpha gargantua

or even

South Greensborough Laughin & yodelin Moth only visable on a full moon night

life with the motor car can be so brutal?

;)

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 11 months ago #182026 by steveb
Swishy...Thought you knew that these rare creatures are only found under and around the even rarer Florieus Nomoreous scented gumtree native to this area alone !!

More
6 years 11 months ago #182028 by Morris
Bparo
Do you have anything against vertically challenged ladies from Greensborough?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds