Skip to main content

IH AA120 4x4 Travelall

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #188570 by Clance66
HI, I'm trying to work out what year my inter is? Also can anyone shed light on the badge & what the SLR part means? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Adam

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by IHScout. Reason: Click on insert to make photos display in your posts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188571 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic IH AA120 4x4 Travelall
I'd guess about 1959. I think the "SLR" you refer to is actually part of the word SERIES.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clance66

More
6 years 6 months ago #188574 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic IH AA120 4x4 Travelall
What kind of motor? the filter looks jap,and the fuel pipes are on the wrong side for a 354.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188577 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic IH AA120 4x4 Travelall
I will reply in this thread, to keep everything together.

The standard engine was a petrol 6 with one engine mount at the front and the two rear ones on either side of the flywheel housing.

I see in your pics there is a diesel of some sort. Is this no longer in it?

You may find the exact original engine and box a bit hard to find, but a later 6-281 and NP 4 speed will bolt straight in and are fairly plentiful. They were still sold in new trucks until the very late 70's and into much larger trucks, as well.

Wheels are problematic for these. The PCD is 6 on 7 1/4". Besides duals from the same era truck, nothing else really fits. There were a Sunrasia type available at some point, but very rare to find. I've only seen them in pictures. So long as yours are not collapsed around the wheel nuts, they'll be fine.

I see a front axle shaft in the back in the photos. The steering knuckles are a weak point on these. Not a killer, but require close attention. A big - knuckle front axle will fit.

If dollars are not too tight, you can fit later model axles (from another Inter, say a D1310) with 8 stud hubs, giving you a plentiful choice of wheels. The other benefit will be no mods required and it will still be all - Inter.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 6 months ago #188584 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic IH AA120 4x4 Travelall
On the bright side,the free wheeling hubs look like Warnes,which was a much better hub than a lot of later rubbish like selectros.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188593 by Clance66
Replied by Clance66 on topic IH AA120 4x4 Travelall
That makes sense re SERIES, Thanks. Is there anywhere on the vehicle that has chassis numbers or ID of any sort?

More
6 years 6 months ago #188597 by Clance66
Motor is a jap diesel, isn't mounted & doesn't come with the car. I'm looking for suggestions as to what to put in it!

More
6 years 6 months ago #188598 by Clance66
Yes it is an ex Ambulance, still has the Dickie seat in it & even some old bandages in the storage cupboards.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188602 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic IH AA120 4x4 Travelall
The chassis number on larger models is on the outside of the left hand chassis rail, at the front, somewhere near the front spring hanger, maybe a bit further forward toward the bumper bar mount, i guess the smaller models are the same? It might be something like AAW120 xxxx. It could have a 3 to 5 digit chassis number either following the model number, or be stamped below it.
I would start looking in an area on the LH chassis rail, in the gap between the front edge of the LHF tyre, and wheelarch, and work your way forward. You will most likely need a wire brush to find it. A poly strip disc works well for this too.
I am really only familiar with larger models though.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188604 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic IH AA120 4x4 Travelall

Clance66 wrote: I'm looking for suggestions as to what to put in it!

what's your budget? Do you want to keep it original/period? Does it have/do you want to keep an original box? It's hard to go past perkins IMO but a toyota engine/gb/tc would give you long term ease and reliability.

Or a detroit just for the thrills :evil:

Time to create page: 0.617 seconds