Skip to main content

Truckie denied compensation (Vic.)

More
5 years 10 months ago #194248 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.

180615F Melbourne 'Herald Sun' - truckie, no compensation.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #194249 by Lang
What a sad state of affairs we have come to,

A "hero" sprains his elbow rescuing somebody. Did a good job and should be commended but now wants to be paid for it. I would love to know the full loss of job story.

There are numerous avenues for counseling and professional PTSD treatment available at little or no cost from everywhere from initial Lifeline contact through to mainstream health department Medicare psychological treatment.

The head of the light Aircraft association says "Leave it to the rescue services and don't risk harm to themselves"

" I will just sit here and watch this bloke bleed out because I might get scratched/burned/the aircraft might explode/the sky might fall in, he might even have AIDS or hepatitis in his blood.."

For so many people there is absolutely no obligation to do the right thing even with the slightest risk left in our society. This bloke even says he would walk past next time and let them die.

Let's all buy shares in Slater and Gordon.
Lang
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194250 by geoffb
Settle there at the Lang Where is the Aussie spirit

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #194251 by Lang
Having read my post again, probably a bit stronger than I intended. I apologise to anyone offended.

In the last 10 years I have seen 3 injury (and one fatal) accidents in front of me and saw people ahead driving on. Several of them had to drive over wreckage or off the road to get through despite there being people including kids either trapped or thrown from the car. Where is the Aussie spirit?

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #194252 by hayseed

Lang wrote: Where is the Aussie spirit?

Lang

It Doesn't exist anymore Lang...

barely 49% of Australia's population are born in Australia to Australian-born parents..

www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/...lation-born-overseas

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by hayseed. Reason: typo

More
5 years 10 months ago #194253 by Dave_64
Some of these bloody do-Gooders have a lot to answer for when it comes to this. Driving both a community car as well as taking seniors on monthly trips since retiring almost ten years ago, we are now in the situation where if anyone has a fall or takes a turn, you are NOT allowed to move in and help, other than ring triple-O! Far cry from when if you saw anyone even broken down or changing a tyre on the side of the road, you at least stopped and asked if they needed a chop out!
I don't know if it's a case of not wanting to get involved, terrified of repercussions or simply don't care anymore. Bloody sad way we have evolved. Dave

More
5 years 10 months ago #194260 by Lang
Only recently a RACQ repair man was sacked because he hooked onto the car of an old fellow and towed him 100 metres off the highway to a safe parking spot.

Because he did not leave the broken down car in the middle of the freeway endangering the driver and other motorist but endangered himself against company rules by not waiting for police or a tow truck he lost his job.

Despite public outcry the RACQ boss justified his position on TV as there being a breach of company policy and the bloke was gone for good.

lang

More
5 years 10 months ago #194267 by JOHN.K.
In Queensland the law requires a person to give assistance to an injured person,and failing to do can see you charged with "callous disregard"..............you are also lawfully required to help a copper who asks ,or is injured.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194277 by Johnm020

JOHN.K. wrote: In Queensland the law requires a person to give assistance to an injured person,and failing to do can see you charged with "callous disregard"..............you are also lawfully required to help a copper who asks ,or is injured.

You are only required to give assistance to a person involved in a RTC if you are the driver of a vehicle involved in that crash.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194281 by Bobsboy
Hi,

Dave64, community driver, ya, I get you there.
Me too.

But remember what they tell us in first aid,
Don't make ourselves a secondary casualty for the emergency service people that will eventually arrive.

Stop the bleeding, keep them breathing.
Do as little as possible and only as much as necessary.
Hence no lift.

Emergencies in remote and isolated regions need a different skill set altogether but,
in the urban environment where most of us live,
if all you manage to do is stop the bleeding and keep them breathing.
Your already a hero.

bwwik?

just saying
-b

Mucking about on the edge

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds