Skip to main content

Toyota Landcruiser Wagon.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199353 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Toyota Landcruiser Wagon.
Rockcrawler you are absolutely right.

What I should have said is solid axle vs independent and not leaf springs.

Yes the 4x4 forums comparisons were between the 100 and 105 but I don't think many people say "it's shit" for the 100's just the solid axle gets the vote for extreme stuff. As I said, I can not tell the difference.

I have had coil cab Patrols (coils all round) and my current vehicle is a rear leaf spring Patrol and certainly there is a difference. The leaf gives a much harsher ride when empty (90% of the time) but feels more stable when heavily loaded. Both have been across the Simpson and I just had a week on Fraser Island and, it may just be me, but the leaf seems not as bouncy going up long sand hills with a dug out track.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199357 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Toyota Landcruiser Wagon.
Coil springs don't have the friction caused between the leafs to help damping, so need good shockers. From memory, coil cab patrols (coils on all corners) are only rated 750kg carrying capacity. Coils are always a far nicer ride. lndependent front end takes it one step further, but the trade off is more moving parts and less articulation.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by dno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 years 6 months ago #203314 by Alan McDonald
Thank you all for your comments on my request for information seeking to know how quiet the
Toyota Landcruiser might be compared to my Nissan GQ patrol.
I haven't been on the sight for a long time as my wife is much happier to drive our Dodge 329
around Australia in retirement, so we have decided on not getting another 4WD and will stick with our noisy but totally
reliable 1990 Nissan TD 42 patrol and see just how many more kilometers we might get out of it. Thanks again

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #203320 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Toyota Landcruiser Wagon.
. We must be easily satisfied..... our 96 HZJ75 Troopy has done nearly 600K ,a lot on out back roads towing a 16 foot van and as long as you are
not in a hurry ,has been ok. A couple sets of injectors, timing belts and a transfer idler shaft and bearings are the only major things done.
My wife gets car sick in a smooth rider, so it is just fine. Drives more like a truck than a car, noise is not a concern.
I guess it boils down to what you get used to, as I have never been one to continually change cars (or any thing else for that matter ).
We don't purposely do extreme 4wd driving, but ,if we want to get somewhere , it takes a lot to stop us..
Yeah ,we will stick with the old Troopy regardless of the lack of power ……………….
………………...Billy...………………..

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by BillyP.

More
4 years 6 months ago #203350 by Alan McDonald
Too right Billy. We've had this Patrol since 2001 when it was then on 412.000 kms. I've never had any mechanical work
done to it other than Clutch replaced Alternator, Air con compressor, and water pump. The only thing that has been done
about three times is I think they call it the pan arm bushes. They just don't build vehicles like these anymore.
I said to my daughter jokingly could you see your Toyota corolla being around in thirty years

More
4 years 6 months ago #203351 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Toyota Landcruiser Wagon.
Old vehicles do have a certain charm.

We have a 1976 Range Rover that has done around 300,000klm as best we can guess.

It did the Australian Safari in 1994 and has seen quite a few changes over the years (it has a fibreglass body, Lexus V8 and Nissan Patrol driveline and goes like stink) but it brings a smile to my dial every time I drive it. It's probably the only old Safari car still in existence or on the road.

I tried to sell it a few years ago and my Wife refused to let me go through with it,.

More
4 years 6 months ago #203355 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Toyota Landcruiser Wagon.
Had a 1989 GQ 4.2, bought at 240000 km and traded in at 410000 km.
Reliable wagon but became noisier and rougher to ride in. Partly half
worn Goodrich tyres, which become harder with age. Mostly rubber
bushes, body mounts, engine mounts and suspension rubbers.
Parts about $1200, plus labour so traded in on a GU. Heavier car, not
as economical but gave good service too. Enjoy your travels, Paul.

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds