Skip to main content

The US and Right hand drive

More
5 years 1 week ago #200065 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic The US and Right hand drive
Much the same setup as loaded trucks coming up from Brimstone in the Burragorang Valley. Decent drop off the edges there as well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #200066 by allan
Replied by allan on topic The US and Right hand drive
Loaded truck had the side against the bank, unloaded truck when passing would get the side nearest the drop. Allegedly. Loaded truck had right of way. Truck going uphill had right of way. (Talking dirt roads/ tracks.)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 1 week ago #200068 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic The US and Right hand drive
Allan
gudday m8
Sounds like
U Bin there dun th@
LOL
also:
the vehicle with the biggest tyres haz right of way
Jist ask any 4 x 4 four wheeler
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #200079 by allan
Replied by allan on topic The US and Right hand drive
Not from the trucking side.

Know all the stories etc from father and uncle and their mates, and managed to spend a fair bit of my career in hydro-electric stations in the bush (Rubicon, Kiewa and the Snowy) steering Inter, Ford, Jeep, Toyota etc 4X4s, in mud & snow on narrow tracks dodging the loggies. "Little wheels past 4 heading to 5"

Very little time in real trucks but a number of miles in Coasters etc, but for trucks, mainly 4x4 fire tankers (Isuzu, Hino, Inter and before that the old 2wd Austin tankers.)
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by allan.

More
5 years 1 week ago #200085 by wee-allis
In the US many Postal Service vehicles are right hand drive to make it easier for rural mail deliveries and also inner city work so the driver can put mail into boxes without walking around the van and in the city so they can step onto the "sidewalk" and not into the traffic. For years they used Jeep vans.

More
5 years 1 week ago #200086 by Eightpot

hayseed wrote:

wee-allis wrote: I've heard this yarn about being RH steer so the driver was closer to the edge of the road for years for years. Tell me, what happens on the return journey? Do they convert the vehicle to LH steer or perhaps drive in reverse.

I've often wondered the exact same thing.......???

Probably the LHD vehicle would be driven the opposite way round compared to a RHD one.

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #200087 by Eightpot

wee-allis wrote: In the US many Postal Service vehicles are right hand drive to make it easier for rural mail deliveries and also inner city work so the driver can put mail into boxes without walking around the van and in the city so they can step onto the "sidewalk" and not into the traffic. For years they used Jeep vans.

Saw one of these NE of St. Louis on a visit to the USA in 1990. However, it was a normal LHD pick-up but with an extra set of pedals on the right as used in cars for learner drivers. Postie sat on the right and reached across to the left to steer it. Didn't even get out of the vehicle to put the mail in the box.
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Eightpot.

More
5 years 1 week ago #200094 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic The US and Right hand drive
I am in Texas at the moment. All the rural postie vans are right hand drive to put the mail in the boxes. All mail boxes are a standard height and size right on the edge of the shoulder. If there is a footpath the box is outside this on the gutter.

Lang

More
5 years 6 days ago #200123 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic The US and Right hand drive
wee-allis wrote:
I've heard this yarn about being RH steer so the driver was closer to the edge of the road for years. Tell me, what happens on the return journey? Do they convert the vehicle to LH steer or perhaps drive in reverse.

I don't see what you mean, wee-allis. On the outward journey, the driver sits on the right and drives on the right hand side of the road. On the return journey, the driver still sits on the right and drives on the right hand side of the road. On both trips, he is sitting close to the edge of the road which is the purpose of the exercise. We are not talking about single lane tracks but narrow 2-lane roads.

If he is on the side against a cliff he can see exactly how close to the cliff he is and give as much room as possible to the vehicle coming the other way, if he is on the side close to the drop he can make sure he is not going to drive over the edge.

Vic

More
5 years 6 days ago #200124 by wee-allis
Vic, the point I was making, or trying to make, was the story as I heard it many times, was so the driver was close to the drop-off, to better judge it's closeness and not go over the edge. There appeared to be no concern about being close to the vertical abutment. Maybe I mis-understood the point of the excersise.

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds