Skip to main content

Dodge AT4 Slant six engine swap with Valiant

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #21146 by The Ghost
Hi, My first post as a new member, so it may take a while to get the hang of this. I live in the mid north of SA, always liked old Bedfords, Inters and Dodges, never been in the right place at the right time,..... until now! Just got a really nice stock as, Dodge AT4 129. Great ;D Went to pick it up (been sitting over 10 years in shed) motor won't budge, locked solid! :(
Will a slant six out of a Valiant fit, understand the sump and pick up need changing is the bolt pattern on block same to match up with the original 4 speed box? :-/ I will put up some pics over the next week or 2 if anyone's interested in what it looks like.
Cheers The Ghost
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by The Ghost.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #21147 by Sarge
TG, we love pictures, good luck with the project,
I thought getting another dodge engine would be a doddle..... others will know about fitting a Val slant..

Welcome aboard

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
14 years 3 months ago #21148 by JimmyDodge
Hi Ghost, my son is a Valiant nutter he reckons it's not quite so straight forward, the truck slant had a bigger stronger crank and rods compared to the car slant.
There maybe other small differences but he was in a hurry to go out when I spoke to him on the phone, and he was unsure if the truck bellhousing would bolt up to the car bolt pattern. He said it might be best to ask around more.
Sorry I couldn't be more help mate, but maybe it's a start.
regards Harleigh.

i

More
14 years 3 months ago #21149 by davjoh
the slant six is a heavier motor for the truck. mick white did fit a truck motor to a valiant but it was difficult. if len white ever gets to fitting a 351 to his dodge truck there could be a truck 6 available but in need of a overhaul

More
14 years 3 months ago #21150 by kennymopar2
cheapest way out mite be a slant 6 out of a valiant coupled to a 4 speed borg warner . . (as long as your handbrake goes to the rear wheels and not to the rear of the gearbox

More
14 years 3 months ago #21151 by The Ghost
Hi Everyone! Got the AT4 home now looking good. Engine still solid, was reportedly driven into shed about 11 years ago, now seems seized? :'( Have sprayed WD40 down the pots, and will drop sump tomorrow and have a look in there. Can get a VC Valiant complete for $500 (motor running), thinking of getting it for the donk, but he needs it gone tomorrow (he's moving) but still no firm word on,if it will fit??? If the internals are slightly different that doesnt matter. Anyone know of anyone who rebuilds these Dodge slant sixes in SA???? :-/
Also in the process of getting a 1976 LHD Dodge W100 4wd, it never rains but poors!!
Cheers Ghost ;D
Thanks for your responses and interest. 8-)

More
14 years 3 months ago #21152 by Tatra
Ghost,

First, welcome to the forum. As for the slant 6, I did not know they were different for trucks, I always assumed in the US and Oz slant 6s were used for the most basic versions and if you wanted a heavy duty motor, you went to 360 etc. Certianly the ones I remember in Ds and Power Wagons from when I used to live in Israel looked identical to the (US) Valiant version. However, if it's such a hassle as described, trying to unseize the engine is probably your most sensible option - lots of WD as said and then leave it to brew for a while...

Cheers,

T

More
14 years 3 months ago #21153 by oldlogger
Hi Ghost...first time poster myself ...you might like to have a look at this link before your go to the trouble of an engine swap as its unlikely to be badly frozen unless water has somehow entered the engine.

www.kingofobsolete.ca/KING%27S_BAR_STARTER_WEBPAGE.html

I would recommend lots of diesel down the cylinders (remove the sump plug of course) instead of wasting doe on WD...top up or recycle as necessary the after a few days start to put some back on forward pressure on and see what happens.

Best of luck...oldlogger

More
14 years 3 months ago #21154 by ianoz
Hi Old logger ,Welcome to the forum mate .Where abouts do you hail from .?.Ian .

More
14 years 3 months ago #21155 by oldlogger

Hi Old logger ,Welcome to the forum mate .Where abouts do you hail from .?.Ian .

Gday Ian...I'm on the North Coast of NSW...semi retired farmer and ex logger/sawmiller from way back when Blitzs still reined supreme for the smaller operator...although the Mrs ex would prolly suggest just plain tired is a more accurate description.

Cheers...I'll fill in a profile later as this was a bit of a spur of the moment reply and on 3rd world dial up it all gets a bit time consuming and I'm a busy man now I'm retiring ::)

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds